My first mead tastes like FIRE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
I'd just like to preface this all with a nice ;).

Just over a month ago I started on my first mead. I used 15lbs of fairly cheap Smart & Final honey (a discount grocery store in CA), and about 6 oz of grated ginger root, and fermented it with 2 packets of Lavlin 1118. Its OG was 1.104.

Today, I decided it was time to rack it off the lees, and so I did. When I did a FG check it was down to .996-.998. I didn't want to just WASTE that precious test sample, so I did what any good homebrewer would do; I drank it.

My first sip tasted somewhere between a dry white wine, with a nice mellow floral of honey, and slightly bitter-sour aftertaste from the ginger, followed directly behind a freight trains worth of fire and heat. WOW! I didn't know a drink just under 14% could burn like that!

Now, let me say that I had no intention of drinking that mead anytime before Christmas of this year. I know this stuff will mellow out and become wonderful ambrosia of the Gods if given enough time, time I am more than willing to give. I know you can tell there is "but" coming soon. But, I didn't know just how rough and tumble that stuff can be when young. Damn, a single 12ox bottle of that stuff would set you spinning! Well, maybe not spinning, but it would be like drinking to shots of 80 proof whiskey.

So, in short; new batch brewed up and transferred to secondary, I tasted it and drank fire.

I use the same honey you used in many of my meads.
Given time, you will have a wonderfully satisfying mead.

any Mead under 6 months old is essentially lighter fluid.

It will gradually lose that harsh alcohol taste. I thought I screwed up my first mead because of that rocket fuel taste you're talking about, but after a few months it was all gone. I didn't give it the full 6 months to a year to be ready, but it must have been pretty good because there is none left.

I also used some cheap clover honey I found on sale at a Giant Eagles. (not sure if those stores exist outside the midwest.)

Brother, ain't that the truth!

truly is.

I am blessed in that i have a S&F 2 miles from my house and an AG cash and carry just 20 minutes away. Being from Portland originally.. an AG is a Godsend.

I save tons on Honey at the AG and can pick up cases of frozen berries for $20 bucks.

managing a Restaurant and using my discounts = Mead Heaven.

It will gradually lose that harsh alcohol taste.

unless you want it to have the harshness..
seriously, Meads by nature want to mellow with time.

I have a Marionberry Mead that has been sitting in a Corny Keg for 2 years.
It is almost ready for the bottle.

ok. Half for the bottle, half for a 2.5 gallon Keg. :tank:

Brother, the heat isn't from the 14% alcohol, it's from the ginger. Fresh ginger is hot stuff. It mellows when it cooked.

6 oz of fresh ginger will light you up.

Ohhh firemead sounds good! Use a lot of cinnamon and ginger, or better yet :

05266-CS.jpg

Throw some of those bad boys in there during secondary aging!

I don't think you could make it sparkling... since the heat comes from cinnamon oil extract.

Ohhh firemead sounds good! Use a lot of cinnamon and ginger, or better yet :

05266-CS.jpg

Throw some of those bad boys in there during secondary aging!

I don't think you could make it sparkling... since the heat comes from cinnamon oil extract.

A little while back in Zymurgy there was a recipe for an atomic fireball mead. Ill have to look that one up again.

Naw atomic fireballs are weak and they are fake hot....
you want real hot:

180px-Naga_Jolokia_Peppers.jpg

The Naga Jolokia (English: King Cobra Chili) — also known as Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chili, Ghost Pepper, Naga Morich — is a chili pepper. It is a naturally occurring inter-specific hybrid indigenous to the Assam region of northeastern India. It also grows in the Indian states of Nagaland and Manipur, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. In 2007, it was confirmed by Guinness World Records to be the hottest chili in the world, replacing the Red Savina. Disagreement has arisen on whether it is a Capsicum frutescens or a Capsicum chinense.

My mead used to taste like wood alcohol, or some type of cleaning product it was soo strong.

My friend came over the other day, and I opened a bottle since I havnt tried it in a couple months, and when he downed a glass quickly with no facial expression of "Whoaaa thats strong", I tried some myself, and WoW....with just a tsp of honey added into 344ml bottle, would taste good enuff to be commercial.

Give it some time, and it tastes totally different!!

Back