Can isinglass impede carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer to use isinglass or other finings in your brew??

• Yes

• No

• Depends...

Results are only viewable after voting.

simplecj

Reaction score
I've got two batches of ale bottled now that I used isinglass on about three days before bottling. My honey amber ale is at two weeks and no apparent carbonation present.

Since isinglass pulls the yeast out of suspension, does that mean there won't be any yeast left to ferment the priming solution?? Maybe I'm being impatient, but if there's still no carb by week three, I'm assuming something is wrong. :confused:

I've never used isinglass, but I have used KC superkleer and gelatin. It's possible that it pulled too much out. How long was it waiting in the secondary total?

If I've fined it or lagered it or left it sitting for awhile, I'll add some rehydrated dry yeast back at bottling time...mix it in with the priming sugar. Just to be sure.

I've used Irish moss/whirlfloc in my boil but never used finings on my beer. I use sparkelloid or bentonite on my wines if they don't clear on their own but often I don't even use finings in my wines either.

I have had very clear beer for the last 6-8 months. I think the best thing is time. I almost always do the 1-2-3 or more like 2-3-4 method. I'm pleased without using gelatin or finings.

Ok.... so, I hope I haven't ruined my first two batches with isinglass... why would you want to use this stuff if it can result in a clear, yet flat brew? I will not be using finings on my brew ever again... 2-3-4 sounds good and yeast falls out with time anyways.

Honey Amber - 1-2-2
Holiday Ale - 1-3-1

Ya, bentonite and sparkaloid are great! My mead is almost crystal clear! Of course I'm not planning on carbonating my mead so crystal is good!

POSSIBLE FIX?

If after 4 weeks there is still no carbonation, would it be possible to fix this by making a yeast starter and using a dropper to put a single drop of yeast in each bottle? What a pain to uncap and recap, but if it means the difference between flat and carbed, it would probably be worth it!

Isinglass didn't pull enough yeast out of suspension that you couldn't naturally carbonate your brew. In fact using isinglass can improve the head retention of any beer.

boo boo said:
Isinglass didn't pull enough yeast out of suspension that you couldn't naturally carbonate your brew. In fact using isinglass can improve the head retention of any beer.

Ahh, good! An alternate opinion on the subject!

I'm guessing I'll find out if you're right within the next few weeks. I hope you are!

I couldn't image why it would be marketed as a fining agent for beer if it had the potential to prevent carbonation. I think Boo Boo is right, I'm probably ok, but..

What are the pros/cons of using isinglass and alternatively, NOT using isinglass in your brew??
:confused:

Both my brew that I used isinglass in are now carbonated!! Guess that answers my question!

Castle Meadow Brewery said:
I like to crash cool my secondary. That really seems to clear everything up for me.

That'd be a good idea, but I don't have the means to do that... well it's cold enough at night I could set it outside, but then again, it could freeze and moving it would likely stir up the cake on the bottom of the carboy..

Cold conditioning after carbonated in the bottles would do the same thing right? Other than you might end up with sediment on the bottom of the bottle...

Boo Boo you posted about possible risk of infection when using isinglass. I've always used it my wines, and generally sanitize the bottle of isinglass before pouring it in. Are there additional measures I need to take for beer due tot he lower alcohol content?

Back