Warm ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
I currently have a late hop IPA fermenting with a huge starter of 1056 going. It's been a vigorous ferment so far-3 days pushing krausen through the blowoff tube. The ambient temp is 65-66 degrees consistently. Is this too high and will it produce any off flavors? I haven't used 1056 before and usually ferment cooler 60-64 ambient, but my basement warmed up a bit.

1056 is a pretty forgiving yeast and prefers temps in the mid 60's, if your basement is ambient at 60-64, active fermentation may hit 65-70 in the primary, a little high but should not really throw much off. Obviously if you have the ability to drop the temp a bit it would be to your advantage. My ambient is 62 and I have never had a problem but I use a swamp cooler for all my beers during the first week of fermentation to maintain the same internal temp.

Ambient jumped to 67 today. Super active fermentation seems to have subsided. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I want it o be awesome. Fingers crossed.

Back