Electric Drum Smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Anyone made one? I acquired a drum and am leaning towards building an electric one. I am trying to figure out what type of element to use. Trying to figure out the difference between a dryer heating element and an oven one.

Just throwing out a guess here that one from the dryer only heats to 150F or so, not to say that it can't go higher though. The one in the oven is definitely designed for around 450-500F+. My buddy has a horizontal oil drum smoker with an offset firebox that he added an oven element to in order to maintain temp while the wood burns down overnight before we start feeding it again the next morning.

I really want to know what the last post said, but I cant figure it out.

WAdamC said:
I really want to know what the last post said, but I cant figure it out.

Ha. Phone autocorrect. Basically dryer elements are higher wattage, but bare Nichrome (eg live at 220v). Oven elements have a Nichrome wire with high temp insulation. This protects from food and other crap on the element causing a short or burning up the element. Make sense?

The one in the oven is definitely designed for around 450-500F+. My buddy has a horizontal oil drum smoker with an offset firebox that he added an oven element to in order to maintain temp while the wood burns down overnight before we start feeding it again the next morning.

Interesting concept... I am interested in coverting my Brick Horizontal smoker to electric using a oven element. For what it is worth, I made a electric kettle several years ago and it has worked great for me.

See: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-kettle-instructions-100737/

I would like to convert my smoker to electric but I have been unable to find any definate plans.

Any help would be appreciated.

TD

Interesting concept... I am interested in coverting my Brick Horizontal smoker to electric using a oven element. For what it is worth, I made a electric kettle several years ago and it has worked great for me.

See: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-kettle-instructions-100737/

I would like to convert my smoker to electric but I have been unable to find any definate plans.

Any help would be appreciated.

TD

I wound up buying a 3400W 240V Oven Element... I'll post some pictures once I build it.

Latest posts

Back