Book Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeScott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was listening to the archives of Basic Brewing Radio, and came upon the Christmas wish list episode. With my birthday and Christmas coming up soon, I figured it would be in my interest to provide SWMBO a list of gift giving ideas.

I already have "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing", and put the following on the list:
- The Homebrewer's Companion (Paperback) by Charles Papazian (Author)
- Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew Paperback by Jamil Zainasheff

Anyone have any other suggestions of maybe some feedback on these titles?

Thanks!

I started with Charlie too. Seems a bit out-of-date now.

1) Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles is basically just a recipe book, but the recipes are excellent and there is some good brewing info.
2) Palmer's How to Brew is excellent. Covers all aspects of brewing (like Papaz) but seems more up-to-date in regards to techniques.
3) Designing Great Beers has yet to be pulled off my bookshelf, but is also supposed to be excellent.

Yeah, how about "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I also like "Designing Great Beers", "Clone Brews", and one of my favorites "Radical Brewing".

I really liked the book Tasting Beer. Is there anything you're into more than just basic brewing? There are great books on Belgian beer, there are great books on beer/food pairing, and there are even some incredibly scientific books out there.

That's a good question, and I'm not entirely sure of the answer. I'm new to brewing, but I liked the style guides and brief histories that were in the complete joy book of homebrewing book, and I was interested in the Brewing Classic Styles book because I would like to have a better idea of what makes up a style.

Belgium brewing seems really interesting, and may inspire a family vacation. :)

I think mainly I'm looking for books that you have read, and why you enjoyed them.

Thanks for the replies!

I think you will like BCS because it describes styles, critical considerations for brewing the style, and provides recipes.

3) Designing Great Beers has yet to be pulled off my bookshelf, but is also supposed to be excellent.

Awesome book! Bought is when I wanted to start designing my own recipes a year ago. Its become my bible for creating recipes! Highly recommended!:rockin:

Back