Yikes, emergency error with mash tun, no filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I'm an idiot. I forgot to reattach my braid to my mash tun before starting an all grain batch. Currently the grains and water are in the cooler. I've got a couple of ideas for how to fix this situation:

1) When the time's up, dump everything into a pot, attach the filter, then dump it all back into the cooler, then vorlauf as normal
2) Just try to vorlauf, with a steel tea filter on the output side of the hose

I think 2) is easier but more likely to fail. Anyone that can suggest something?

I've done this, well something similar anyway. My false bottom tube came of during the mash. I just dumped it all out, reattached the tube and dumped it all back in and started the vorloff <-SP right away. Still ended up with an 80% eff. Beer took 3rd in a local tasting. :rockin:

I've done this, well something similar anyway. My false bottom tube came of during the mash. I just dumped it all out, reattached the tube and dumped it all back in and started the vorloff <-SP right away. Still ended up with an 80% eff. Beer took 3rd in a local tasting. :rockin:

Sounds good. I can't see how this would affect efficiency though. Either the sugars are extracted or they aren't, right?

ayup! I just didn't include all the cussing, spilling, missing the sparge temps, spilling again, more cussing, burnt arm from trying to fix the blasted thing half full of hot mash (shortcut), and oh yeah, forgot to mention, not at all sanitary! Guess thats why I'm still impressed with it!

Back