I hate LME!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a BB kit before, but the second beer I ever brewed was a red ale kit from my LHBS. It used all liquid malt extract, and I didn't even know about late extract addition at that time, so the full amount of extract(6.6 lbs) got boiled the full 60 min. It still turned out great, and had a nice red color to it.

as far as extracts go, I only use Breiss Pilsen Light DME. It's the lightest extract I have found so far. If I want any color or flavor, that's what specialty grains are for.

I asked my supplier the same question and he told me he reason why LME is better - LME is of better quality than DME because of the drying process. However, LME is difficult to store and if not properly stored, tends to go "bad" fast. It is best to store LME under refridgation.

Hagen said:
as far as extracts go, I only use Breiss Pilsen Light DME. It's the lightest extract I have found so far. If I want any color or flavor, that's what specialty grains are for.

Excellent choice. The liquid version is the bomb as well.

Forrest

This has been a really informative thread, thanks for everyones input. I'm starting to experiment with recipes now that I have a few under my belt, and am interested in this "late addition" of the extract. Can anyone point me to a thread that this is explained in more detail?

Also, I picked up some DME recently just to try it out but I don't want to go adding it without knowing how to convert the volume of LME to DME...ie: 1lbs LME is equal to???

i've made several red ales, AG, PM and extract. None of them have come out as red as I would like. My most recent is a nice copper color...i think that's about as close as i'm going to get. tastes fantastic, at least.

i haven't used carared. mostly i use munich and a small amount of dark crystal or roasted malts.

i'm thinking i might try hibiscus to make a crazy red ale. it would be the first time i've used any type of adjunct besides flakes, malts or coriander. See Jamaica.

DeathBrewer said:
i'm thinking i might try hibiscus to make a crazy red ale. it would be the first time i've used any type of adjunct besides flakes, malts or coriander. See Jamaica.

That sounds interesting. I'd like to know what recipe you come up with and how it turns out.

Yeah, my brew store has a big, translucent barrel of LME that they serve out of. It's always pretty dark to begin with, so you add in the caramelisation and everything ends up brown. Not to mention that it just doesn't taste good.

Kai said:
Yeah, my brew store has a big, translucent barrel of LME that they serve out of. It's always pretty dark to begin with, so you add in the caramelisation and everything ends up brown. Not to mention that it just doesn't taste good.

It's kept in clear containers!? My LHBS has it in those cool 80# plastic containers and pushes it out with CO2 instead of gravity. I only use their Alexander's pale LME and I can make some pretty light beers. I do late additions to so that might help.

Tried LME once. Beer turned out ok but havent used it since. I've had nice luck using DME with the late exctract method.

It seems like there are big differences between LME stored and sold in bulk versus the individual cans (or, in the case of Breiss, heavy sealed plastic containers).

Latest posts

Back