Bittering Up a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
I'm planning a brew tomorrow using homegrown cascade hops. I don't really intend for it to be overly hoppy, it's more of an American Wheat, maybe 23 ibu.

My concern is that my hops may have been picked a bit young, they have fairly good aroma, but since they're homegrown there is not %AA reading on them.

So here's my question... I'm going to use about 1oz at 60 min and 1oz at around 5 min, adding the zest of a few oranges to bump the citrus up. If these hops don't impart a lot of bitterness and the beer ends up too sweet, can I make a hop extract to increase the bitterness?

My thought is to make about a litre of 1.040 wort, add an ounce of hops to this and boil for an hour. The Tinseth formula calculates that an ounce of 7% hops will make 1L of ~500 ibu wort, which I'd then use to adjust the bitterness of the beer in the secondary.

Does this sound doable, or does the hop utilization formula lose accuracy at high bitterness the way it seems to at high gravity?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Back