Corn sugar ok for making sweet wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I don't really have any wine making experience but I want to make a 3 gallon batch of grape wine. Is it ok to use dextrose or should I be using table sugar if I want it sweet?

It will ferment either, dextrose OR cane/beet sugar, if added to grape juice, no problem!

But...any sugar added to the must will only serve to make it drier...NOT sweeter!

Unless you are talking about using dextrose to BACK sweeten with...after the wine has been fully fermented, and stabilized, and you then desire carbonation...like Champagne.

If you are just interested in making a simple 'sweet' wine, DO NOT add any sugar to the recipe!

Pogo

I was planning on using 3 - 3.5 lbs of corn sugar for a 3 gallon batch. The yeast will die out around 14% ABV or so and the residual sugars should remain. I'm taking this based on a recipe a friend has done with good results taken from the Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible, which is an interesting read in itself.

I was planning on using 3 - 3.5 lbs of corn sugar for a 3 gallon batch. The yeast will die out around 14% ABV or so and the residual sugars should remain. I'm taking this based on a recipe a friend has done with good results taken from the Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible, which is an interesting read in itself.

That might work. But 14% is still pretty HOT, and sometimes the yeast are happy and will keep going even after they were "supposed" to stop. You might end up with 17% rocket fuel, that's why most people just get the OG where they want it and then stabilize and sweeten to taste when the wine is finished.

Either way will work, but a higher ABV wine will take much longer to age to be drinkable.

Yeah...I've got the same book, too, but I haven't finished it yet.

By all means, press on with your project.

Just be aware that you can over sweeten your must, which can stall the fermentation, sometimes before it even starts.

If you don't already have a hydrometer, and know how to use it, I would advise getting one.

Good luck.

Pogo

Back