Finding that evasive Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
Moving to the Garage this weekend:rockin:

I can't find turkey fryers larger than 30qts. I've checked Walmart Target Costco and Home depot . Home depot seems the best bet at $69 for 30qts. The guy on the phone said 4,500 BTU... That doesn't seem right though.

So, am I missing a great place to look? I would consider online, but like I said I'm moving to the garage this weekend and I think I permanently caramelized my stove, so I'd rather not wait for a delivery. I'm still learning the whole patience thing.

I have been checking Lowe's for the past few weeks and they finally got some in 30qts. for $57. Not the same brand they had last year. I'm looking for a second burner to speed up the AG process. If they still have some after Christmas they are practically giving them away.

30 qts is the largest turkey fryer you'll find.

Bass Pro had some large pots that were not that expensive. I know they had an aluminum 60 quart pot I almost took home. Not sure if you have one of them in your area though. I bought a stainless steel turkey fryer from them the other day. It's going to serve as a sparge water heater and around holiday time as it's original purpose of turkey frying.

If you're just wanting a burner, then check out Lowe's as well. I got a Bayou Classic burner from them. Thing is super powerful!

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to figure out what's best based on my research. So far the conundrum is:

A. Buy the whole kit at once. Get a 30 qt aluminum Turkey fryer with an Okay burner for $70. The con is that the aluminum isn't as good as SS and the burner is just par. Do it this way and upgrade later.

B. Buy a good burner for $50 and a 10 gallon SS pot for $150. No upgrade necessary until I go all crazy like Yuri Rage.

ss pot is not necessary listen to the Brew Strong show about metals on the The Brewing Network.

Bought a turkey friar w/ a 32qt. alum pot at sutherland's for $30 last year.I boil 6.5 gals in it all the time.Works great.I just don't add hops until after that first time it wants to boil over.Saves having to scrape them all back down into the pot too.

If you wait until after Thanksgiving the price will likely drop on them. I got mine from Wal-mart last year for $30 a couple weeks after Thanksgiving.

Also in case your considering moving up to a keggle in the future, look for a turkey fryer without a lip around the outside of the stand.

30 qts is the largest turkey fryer you'll find.

Bass Pro had some large pots that were not that expensive. I know they had an aluminum 60 quart pot I almost took home. Not sure if you have one of them in your area though. I bought a stainless steel turkey fryer from them the other day. It's going to serve as a sparge water heater and around holiday time as it's original purpose of turkey frying.

If you're just wanting a burner, then check out Lowe's as well. I got a Bayou Classic burner from them. Thing is super powerful!

Watch Amazon! I got a Bayou Classic (I think it was the SP10) 150,000 btu burner for $30, plus it was listed as free shipping at that time (1.5 months ago). I had certificates, so it was actually FREE!! It has a high pressure fixed regulator, but a valve for adjusting flow. It works great; low heat, high heat, etc.

I also got a 60qt aluminum pot for $80 - $10 from left over certificate, shipped. It has the thicker 3/16" sides, so far so good! Smaller pots are aboviously cheaper, plus they might be under free shipping at times. Check it out!

I got a standard turkey fryer at meijers for $29.00 2 weeks ago....some places are lowering their prices PRE THANKSGIVING rather than the Friday after sale...

Honestly if you cant find them for 30 bucks now, hold of til the day after thanksgiving...especially since you will prolly dump the 30 quart pot in favor of a larger one after a couple batches...there is really NO POINT in paying 6o or more if ultimately you are going to dump the pot....

But look at walmart, Target, sporting goods stores, heck even your grocery store...one of them is bound to have them for 29.99.

But you CAN use the 30 quart pot nearly full in a rolling boil if you use, fermcap or another brand foam control...

5987.jpg

I've filled the turkey fryer pot nearly an inch below the lip and with a full boil had no problem or fear of boilover...

If you have a Rural King near by check with them that's where I got mine. $50
https://www.ruralking.com/Store/detail.aspx?ID=16791

30 qts is more than big enough for 5 gallon batches. I don't know the BTU's of mine but I can boil off 1-1/2 gallons an hour.

thanks weheavy. BTW I lived in bowling green for about ten years and grew up in Fostoria. Nice to see some NW OH folks on here. Never heard of rural king though

Watch Amazon! I got a Bayou Classic (I think it was the SP10) 150,000 btu burner for $30, plus it was listed as free shipping at that time (1.5 months ago). I had certificates, so it was actually FREE!! It has a high pressure fixed regulator, but a valve for adjusting flow. It works great; low heat, high heat, etc.

I also got a 60qt aluminum pot for $80 - $10 from left over certificate, shipped. It has the thicker 3/16" sides, so far so good! Smaller pots are aboviously cheaper, plus they might be under free shipping at times. Check it out!

Good idea on amazon.

I got an SP-10 for $42. I read online that it was 185k BTUs though. Whatever it is, it boils 7 gallons easily and discolored my pot. lol

cookware.com is a good place to keep an eye on. when they put stuff on sale you can score. I got my 36qt ss pot for 60.00 delivered. they sell burners too, but I got mine off ebay cheaper.

Back