Light Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronMaine

Reaction score
I am making a double ipa extract kit that uses light candi sugar. One pound of it. I have never used it before and the instructions do not say when to add it. I was thinking of adding it right before adding the malt extract? Anyone know if this is a good time or bad time. Any help would be appreciated.
Aaron

Sugar can be added during the boil or during the fermentation. It depends on what kind of mouthfeel you want. During the boil will make it easy to incorporate, but the problem is that the yeast will eat all of the simple sugar during the ferment and may leave some of the maltose behind, leaving a higher FG than expected; a fuller, sweeter beer. If you have regular table sugar, you can instead add it to the fermenter as it starts to slow down. This way the yeast will have its fill of maltose, then work on the simple sugars, creating a dryer beer. As far as I understand it table sugar is the same as candi sugar and there is really no benefit to it. If you have rock sugar already, I'd just add it to the boil within the last 15 minutes or so. I'm not sure how well it will disolve in the fermenter. Hope this helps.

trevorc13 said:
Sugar can be added during the boil or during the fermentation. It depends on what kind of mouthfeel you want. During the boil will make it easy to incorporate, but the problem is that the yeast will eat all of the simple sugar during the ferment and may leave some of the maltose behind, leaving a higher FG than expected; a fuller, sweeter beer. If you have regular table sugar, you can instead add it to the fermenter as it starts to slow down. This way the yeast will have its fill of maltose, then work on the simple sugars, creating a dryer beer. As far as I understand it table sugar is the same as candi sugar and there is really no benefit to it. If you have rock sugar already, I'd just add it to the boil within the last 15 minutes or so. I'm not sure how well it will disolve in the fermenter. Hope this helps.

That helps a lot thank you. I am still new to brewing and learning as I go. Thanks for your help.

Never heard of an ipa using candi sugar. It's usually for Belgian abbey style ales

ardonthorn5 said:
I think NB's "Ryan's Face Puncher IPA" has candi sugar in it. I could be wrong, but I think it does.

So does the biere de garde

nasa258e said:
Never heard of an ipa using candi sugar. It's usually for Belgian abbey style ales

Yeah I think its got some Belgian ale characteristics. Uses wyeast 1388 Belgian strong

Back