Belgian Abbey with Notty yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlvngded

Reaction score
So my 2nd kit arrived today. A Belgian Abbey. It came with Nottingham Yeast. My question is should I use this yeast or spend another $7 and get a better yeast that would better suit the style? Thanks in advance.

For a Belgian beer you need to use a Belgian yeast. The Nottingham yeast will not give you the yeast character you are looking for.

You'll get great beer w/ a nottingham yeast... but it won't taste quite like a belgian style abbey beer... the yeasts they use give some very distinct flavor profiles. If you really wanted it to taste more like a belgian Abbey ale, then you should see if you can get an ale yeast more specific to the style. That being said, I love nottingham and have loved every beer I've fermented w/ it. So... you decide... need the more true Belgian yeast flavors, or, just want to experiment a bit?

Back