Summer Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardedterror

Reaction score
Hello all!

I live in Iowa, and am a poor college student, so I'm living in an apartment without air conditioning. I just brewed my 4th batch ever (an imperial stout), and all was going well until it came time to cool the wort. It's 85 degrees out and almost humid enough to drink the air. I can't get it anywhere close to 70 degrees. Any suggestions?

Do you have a bath tub??? I would put some cold water in the tub and put your pot/carboy/bucket into the tub. Good Luck plus the weather is suppose to cool off tonight...

get a bucket bigger than the fermenter, and put ice in it. get a short barrel of some kind. freeze some 2 liter coke bottles filled with water. put the fermenter in the barrel, add cold water and a couple of frozen ice bottles. rotate some ice bottles between the freezer and the barrel. the first 48 hours are the most crucial

Just for the record, I haven't pitched the yeast yet.

I'm going to try in the bathtub with ice first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try freezing a couple water bottles.

You guys are quick!

Thanks again!

Back