hazed and infused recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwiesner

Reaction score
i am relatively new to homebrewing. i have made four kits so far, three have been bottled and one is fermenting. i am a big fan of hazed and infused and would like to try brewing it next. i found an all grain recipe which i have attempted to convert to extract. any suggestions/comments on the recipe would be greatly appreciated.

before i get started, the recipe i found was for a 10 gallon batch...i intend to make 5 gallons. im assuming it is ok to just half the ingredient list in this case, please let me know if i am mistaken.

i will be using 1.5 gallons of water in my boil. i would like to use more but have a tough time cooling and boiling larger quantities in my kitchen.

the all grain recipe i am working from had an OG of 1.051 and approximately 40 ibu.

i intentionally upped the hops a little because i have read that utilization will be reduced do to the size of my boil. additionally i opted for 30L crystal instead of 40L.

7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.00 oz Roasted Barley
1.30 oz Chinook (60 min)
2.00 oz Cascade (15 min)
2.00 oz Williamette (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (Dry Hop)
1.00 oz Crystal (Dry Hop)
Wyeast Labs #1272

what do you think?

Sounds like a fairly solid recipe. If you want to increase your hop utilization for a partial boil you could always do a late hop addition. Cut the hops back to their original levels and boil them in water with maybe 1# of extract, and then at 15-5 minutes left, kill the flame, stir in your extract, and finish up the brew as normal. You'll also get a lighter color from this technique, and quite a bit less caramelization of your wort.

Also, a turkey fryer might be a good investment for you, $40 for a 30 qt pot and a pretty decent burner. Just a suggestion for the general improvement of beer.

thebikingengineer thanks for the info i will look into adding the extract late in the boil.

If you are only going to boil 1.5 gals, then you really want to go with the late addition method as mentioned. Fwiw, at those quantities that looks like it's going to be awful heavy on the hops compared to the orig brew. You might want to roll your recipe into a calc or something like promash/brewsmith to make sure you on target with your IBUs.

thanks for your all grain recipe, but this thread is in an extract brewing forum, please post an extract recipe, the link under your recipes just said to put the recipe into beersmith to get an extract recipe........

Latest posts

Back