Cooling down a warm fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michadelphia

Reaction score
I mistakenly racked my wort to a yeast cake a bit too soon. Once I racked I noted the temp as 85F. To remedy the situation I thought about placing it in the fridge, however it was already violently fermenting only after 2 hours. I went ahead and placed it in the fridge with a blow off overnight and this brought the temp down to 61F. Hoping that would slow down the fermentation and stop any esters and off flavors.

It is an Imperial IPA and it was racked on to a PacMan yeast cake.

My question is - has anyone experimented with hot to cold to warm (85 to 60 with a gradual increase to 70)? I usually go cold to warm with my fermentations (55 start with a gradual increase to a 70 finish).

At this point, I am more interested in the outcome then upset with my mistake.

My question is - has anyone experimented with hot to cold to warm (85 to 60 with a gradual increase to 70)?

I've done this a few times; pitched a little warm (usually 75-80, haven't gone to 85) then cool rapidly (usually by leaving it outside) to 65F or so. It hasn't seemed to turn my stouts or blondes banana-y or ester-y.

Thanks for the feedback. That is good to hear. I am hoping for the same result. I am excited to see what happens with my brew. I plan to let it ferment out and also dry hop. I am hoping that the extended rest allows for any unwanted flavors to mellow out.

Back