Should I buy Campden tablets for my unpastureized Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I have one question. Im using 2 gallons of unpasturized cider bought from the farm and 3 gallons of Indian Summer apple juice pastuerized.

I see that people use the campden tablets in their brew for the first 24 hours without pitching the yeast.

Do you only use campden tablets for unpasturized Cider?

Thanks so much. :fro:

Just a note. Im using the WYeast Liquid Cider....

And a 1lb of brown sugar to up the alcohol content. Should I add more sugar then a lb for 5 gallons?

Campden tablets have several uses, but address your question, you should use them if you have unpasturized juice.

Depends on how much you want to boost the ABV & how long you are willing to wait for the cider to age. I've made cider with as much as a pound of sugar per gallon, but not for myself. It was really harsh, but probably would have been fine in a year. The ferment will go better if you wait until the initial fermentation is done , before adding more sugar.

I think ill add 2 tablets for the 2 unpasturized gallons and then let sit for a day.

Then aierate and add the extra couple of gallons and then the liquid yeast.......

What do you think?

When you say not to airlock, do u mean they say that u should just cover it with a cloth? I think I heard that somewhere too, but probably safest just to shove a bung and airlock in there, and I doubt that you should need a blow off tube for cider... Anyway airlocks are pretty cheap, and thats what I use (then again I am a noob and are in the process of making my first beer ever, then following on to do cider). Good luck with the cider :mug: , hope that helped a bit.

I dont use ferm locks for my primary. I just put the lid on, Dont push it down, just lay it on. I do this with wine, cider, or beer.:fro:

Back