Are there any burners that are safe to use inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I know that most BTU burners eat up oxygen, but are there any that are safe to use indoors? I am trying to turn my basement into a homebrewery (my apartment is pretty small!). If there are not any that are safe, Will an open window to the street by safe enough?

I know that most BTU burners eat up oxygen, but are there any that are safe to use indoors? I am trying to turn my basement into a homebrewery (my apartment is pretty small!). If there are not any that are safe, Will an open window to the street by safe enough?

For someone in your position, you might want to consider an electric brewery with water heater elements. I'm not going to say that people haven't found ways to use gas burners indoors, but you'll have a hard time convincing anyone to advocate it or tell you it's worth the risk.

I decided to go with electric elements in my brew system in the basement instead of using natural gas or propane. I know the electrical well enough, and I don't have to worry about as much heat shielding as I would with an open flame. I'm still putting in the ventilation I'd planned on so that I won't have too much moisture inside.

If it is "your" basement, in that you own or otherwise care about the house attached, you need to consider ventilation regardless of what heating method you use.

IMO, only natural gas and electric are suitable indoors.

I would think that having a tiny NG stove installed would be much like using a regular stove in your kitchen. I dont see where youd gain anything?

High BTU burners generally used to boil full 5 gallon batches are not tested or certified for indoor use. Nor are thier fuel sources (20lb tanks).

No, there aren't any safe high BTU burners for indoor use.

Some people do this anyway. A good carbon-monoxide monitor and powered ventilation improve your survival odds.

(just as a bit of safety humor: my new ventless heater for the brewery comes with a 10 foot hose for a #20 tank, but insists the tank be kept outside.)

what about ventless propane fireplaces? I have one of those and we've used it in our family room for months at a time. There is no vent, all of the output goes directly into our living room. We have a CO2 detector and it doesn't ever make a sound unless the battery is going dead. So if the fireplace can be used safely inside, what's the difference between that and using a propane burner? Seriously, i don't know, is there a big difference b/c it seems very similar.

Ventless fireplaces burn extremely efficiently, so release little, if any carbon monoxide. The propane burners we use in brewing aren't as efficient and release lots of CO, so shouldn't be used indoors.

Back