Clear or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusizhuo

Reaction score
Really, how important is it to have a clear fermenter? I have never used an opaque one, but I know a lot of people use the "ale pale" and other similar style buckets. It just seems to me that when racking time comes around it would be hard to judge how deep to rack and avoid the lees if you can't see through your fermenter. Is this really an issue? I have an opaque fermenter I have never used, and I was thinking about using it for some apfelwein, but I have my doubts. I would love to hear the opinions of those more experienced that me.

its not important at all. I think most people using a bucket for primary do it because:
1. easier to clean all the trub out of a wide mouth vessel vs. carboy
2. they are cheap
3. lighter than a glass carboy, so easier to move around come racking time
4. are usually 6.5-7gallons so they don't need a blow off most of the time

in other words, its personal preference.

Thanks for the info, but I am asking if it is ok to use an opaque fermenter and tips related to such a choice, not if it is ok to use clear glass carboys. Clear glass is what I have been using, and I am a bit hesitant to switch to using something I can't watch clearly, but then I do have this extra opaque fermenter so was thinking about putting it to use.

I think he answered your question. It doesn't matter. I keep my glass covered to protect it anyway, so opaque is good.

I do most of my primary fermentations in a bucket because it's easier as malkore said. Then I do my secondary fermentations in carboys because I want to reduce headspace, especially for wines. But then, I have to cover them with a towel to keep them out of the light. If I had an opaque container that would work, I would really like that for bulk aging! There isn't any reason to have to see inside except to see when the lees get too thick and the wine needs to be racked. For beer, it wouldn't matter at all.

Yeah, I was explaining the benefits of plastic buckets for primary fermenting vessels over carboys.

I secondary in 5 gallon carboys as well, since I have a nice dark box to keep them in. I guess that is one other benefit of a bucket is that no UV light can get in to skunk the hops before the beer's even finished. but a t-shirt over a carboy solves that 'concern' pretty readily.

I ferment in a stainless steel conical fermenter. Once the lid goes on I wont see the beer untill it goes into the keg. I won't get a really good look at it untill it is in my glass. You shouldn't be tracking fermentation by how it looks in a carboy, but by gravity readings. Use your opaque fermenter and trust that the yeast are working.

This topic mentions the question of slight. I use better bottles for all my fermentors but occasionally open the door to my dark closet to add ice / bottles to their water trays. No natural light hits them, but they probably take about 30 seconds of light from a bulb outside the closet each time I do this. Could this skunk a beer? Should I start covering them with blankets for additional protection?

Only if its a fluorescent light. incandescent doesn't put out any appreciable amount of UV light. fluorescents, compact/spiral fluorescents and sunlight do put out UV.

if you want, put a t-shirt over the carboy to block all light, but its probably not necessary.

hell, my brew room has a bank of 4x40watt fluorescents and my beer gets racked in there...never is skunky.

I am not worried about watching the fermentation. SG readings are fine for that. I am more worried about racking. If I can't see through the side of my bottle, how do I know how deep my lees in and therefor how deep to rack?

Well, start shallow and put the racking cane deeper as you go. As you're racking, you'll be able to look inside along your racking cane to see the bottom (as the level of the fluid lowers, you'll be able to see where you're at, and also the fluid in the racking cane will start getting cloudy.

get an auto-siphon. it has a great little tip on the end that lifts you about an inch off the bottom, so you don't rack too much trub/lees into secondary.

secondary should be clear enough that come bottling time you shouldn't really have more than a dusting of yeast on the bottom, so again the siphon tip prevents yeast racking to the bottling bucket.

Im pretty new 2 brewing myself. I use the buckett for primary which you can see thru a little bit. I put small marksalot lines when the trub has mostly settled for several batches so I have A generaly idea where 2 stop the racking cane. If you look closley as you put in the racking cane close 2 the side of the bucket, you can see it soo U know how far 2 put it down.

Racking is not a problem. Buckets are not completely opaque and you can see the trub level easily. If you place the tip of your racking cane against the wall, you'll be able to see that as well. Try it with some water in the bucket.

I have spigots on mine and just run the brew into a soda bottle until it's clear.

Back