what is a good cheap cleaner/sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use betadine (iodophor)10% solution at 1,25ml/l rate.pretty darn cheap at pharmacies(5$ 8 oz. in place where i live though )

what is the difference of just plain bleach vs. oxyclean?

Oxyclean is a cleaner it removes the organic crud from the fermentation. Bleach is a sanitizer and really does not clean all that well. If you use bleach as a no rinse sanitizer use no more than 1 once per gallon of water.

But StarSan or Iodopher are much more homebrew friendly and they really cost very little when used properly. I use distilled water with StarSan and i only mix up a gallon at a time. Using an quart sprayer and a garden sprayer to wet everything down to sanitize remember that it only need to be wet 30-90 seconds to be effective. You dont need to soak things in a bucket, That gallon last 3-4 brews .

I use distilled water with StarSan and i only mix up a gallon at a time. Using an quart sprayer and a garden sprayer to wet everything down to sanitize remember that it only need to be wet 30-90 seconds to be effective. You dont need to soak things in a bucket, That gallon last 3-4 brews .

When I use tap water the color clears pretty quickly. I can only get a batch or two outof it. Is it the distilled water that helps it last longer?

When I use tap water the color clears pretty quickly. I can only get a batch or two outof it. Is it the distilled water that helps it last longer?

Yes. The surfactants in the StarSan bind with the minerals in the Tap water and make it cloudy . I can keep it for a few months and its crystal clear and it will still be under 3 PH where its still effective.

When you say color are you using Iodopher or StarSan? Starsan has no color when mixed . Iodopher has a straw color to it and really doesn't have a long shelf life when its mixed with any type of water. I think they recommend you toss it after 8 hours or add more Iodopher.

can you get Iodophor at any drug store? rite aid, cvs, longs, etc.

also i found a container of easy clean that came with some equipment i purchased, is easy clean a cleaner and sanitizer?

I read that you can get Iodophor as 'bag cleaning' at tractor supply company and similar 'farm store' places. Not sure about CVS, as I don't think it's the same as iodine.

If I could make a recommendation: Keep the cleaner cheap (i.e. generic oxyclean), but don't scrimp on the sanitizer. One infected batch = $20-50, so paying a few bucks more (even double) for good quality sanitizer will pay for itself over and over again.

Back