Re: carbonation (no, this isn't another 'my beer is undercarbed' question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
I have seen repeated posts about people placing their brews in the fridge to slow down or stop carbonation from taking place and preventing bottle bombs, among other reasons. The specific question I have is once a brew is in the fridge, and presuming further carbonation stops, does the process of the beer itself absorbing the carbonation continue? In other words does carbonation that initially starts in the headspace continue to be incorporated into the beer itself?

I have seen repeated posts about people placing their brews in the fridge to slow down or stop carbonation from taking place and preventing bottle bombs, among other reasons. The specific question I have is once a brew is in the fridge, and presuming further carbonation stops, does the process of the beer itself absorbing the carbonation continue? In other words does carbonation that initially starts in the headspace continue to be incorporated into the beer itself?

The co2 in the headspace will be at a pressure that is consistent rate with the co2 already absorbed into the beer. As it is carbonating, it maintains that equilibrium, and you really don't have to worry about that. Once it cools to a point where yeast isn't producing any more co2, your carbonation level is pretty much set.

Cold liquid holds more gas than warm.....so as the brew cools, it absorbs more CO2. At some point, the yeast go dormant and no longer produce CO2, and the brew itself has absorbed all the CO2 it can....when that point of equilibrium is reached, your beer is as carbed as it's going to get.

Latest posts

Back