Ordinary Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellecitybrewer

Reaction score
Just brewed a new recipe. I just love these low alcohol beers from Britain... Very simple, but here goes:

6# Maris Otter
0.75# Crystal 60
Single step mash at 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 mins

1 oz. Fuggle at 60 mins left

1 oz. Fuggle at 15 mins left

1 oz. Fuggle at 5 mins left

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

What do you guys think?

Looks good.. I brewed something very similar today (7# MO, .5# crystal 50, .5# biscuit, hopped w/ fuggles, pitched 1968). It was my first time brewing a british ale. I have to say, I'm excited to see how this one turns out - the london pride I drank while brewing it was delicious.

Looks good. I would mash higher, were I you, so it doesn't finish too dry, but that might just be me (1318 tends to attenuate fairly high for a British yeast). In a recipe like that, I'd start with 154, and maybe go as high as 156 if that didn't do the trick.

Love the Fuggles and 1318. They're some of my favorites, for sure. Don't be afraid to dry hop this for more Fuggle goodness! Or, any Goldings variety plays very nicely with Fuggles, too.

A little bit too much crystal for my taste, but there's no reason why we should have the same taste.
I like the mash temperature and the hop schedule, but I've never tried the 1318.
When it comes to Bitters, I think simple is good.

-a.

That looks fantastic. Session bitters don't have to be complicated to be delicious! Two things come to mind - you might find the flavour/aroma hopping to be a bit heavy for the malt body, what with that low mash temperature and low gravity. 3/4 oz. for each of your 15 and 5 minute additions would probably be enough to create a generous hop presence. Another thing: honey malt, if you can get it, is great in a bitter. I use four ounces of it in my best bitter, and it lends a hint of subtle toastiness and malt sweetness.

Yeah, now that i look at it, i would like a more full mouth feel and i think a mash temp right around 154 might be perfect.

BTW, I've never had any problems with 1968 dropping out early, even at low fermentation temps (66 F or so). It's a great yeast.

thanks mcavers.. it was going pretty gradual yesterday, checked on it today and it's really ripping. There's not a ton of sugars in this thing (1.039 OG), hopefully it'll be fine.

Back