White particles in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrRolf

Reaction score
My first batch has been in the secondary fermenter for about a week now. Today I noticed white particles (resembling dust) very slowly falling down the inside of the carboy (could only see it w/ a flashlight though). There's a lot of it at the bottom. Please tell me this isn't mold?!? Also, there appeared to be iron particles floating around in it (they were orange and we have hard water, which is why I think they are iron) Any thoughts on this?

I would say that it's not Mold. As far as the orange particles, did you do an all-extract kit, or did you use some steeping grains as well. Sometimes you can see the remnants of the steeping grains if they were over-crushed and they were not filtered out.

My first batch has been in the secondary fermenter for about a week now. Today I noticed white particles (resembling dust) very slowly falling down the inside of the carboy (could only see it w/ a flashlight though). There's a lot of it at the bottom. Please tell me this isn't mold?!? Also, there appeared to be iron particles floating around in it (they were orange and we have hard water, which is why I think they are iron) Any thoughts on this?

It's probably residual yeast falling out of solution.

Don't panic - it's not mold. It's just normal fermentation going on. Give it another week or two, and you will have a nice clear beer, and all the stuff that was floating around will have settled, letting you rack off the brew and leave behind the trub.

:mug:

+1 to all above. And it's a bad idea to shine light into your beer

Three killers of properly sanitized and processed beer:

1)light
2)time
3)temperature

As everyone else has said, it's not mold. RDWHAHB!

I'm still amazed at how the random crap floating in my beer differs so much from one batch to another. They all look disgusting, but in such differing ways.

Thanks all for letting me know. I'll definitely be able to relax now and have a beer (actually I'll have about 40 of them, b/c I hope to bottle next week...this could be interesting) :D

Back