when to harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymartin

Reaction score
So i bought some started plants from Great Lakes Hops
and the plants took off and I have hops growing on the vine. When should I harvest them?
side note: the Cascade vine grows great in Fl. but the Hallatuer isn't doing as well.

typically the cones are ready to harvest when they start to feel kind of like bunched up toilet paper a little give and slightly dry. at this point they may have some browning on them thats ok.

this is coming from some one who made a few rookie mistakes last year and ended up with little to no production from my bines.

on a side note where in fl are you and when did you plant??? im a fellow floridian and i had great growth from my plants last year on the west coast of florida.

When the hops start becoming papery and crunchy. They willl also start to brown on the edge of the cone. I take a few and split them and rub them and sniff them. If they smell srtong and full of lupulin on top of being papery then you are good to go. Your neighbors might look at you funny sniffing them but mine got used to it. I usually don't pick them all at once. Usually in stages of ripening. I will initially pick some as they start getting ready and wait for the rest. Usually the entire plant doesn't ripen at the same time. At least mine don't. So you can harvest more than once.

beerloaf

I am on the East Coast of Fla. I planted a couple months ago and the vines just shot up and flowered.
Can I use the hops as they are or do I need to dry them first?

Latest posts

Back