Belgian Lambic Blend Yeast Cake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got a Belgian Lambic I'm looking to bottle in the next month or two. I normally do not pitch on yeast cakes but I was thinking about leaving behind a 1/2 gallon of the lambic now that is in the carboy and racking a new brew on top of it. Is this common practice for Lambics or would the yeast / bacteria proporations be to out of whack?? Please advise, I would like to keep this blend alive!!

Also, do I need to add yeast when bottling? Its been fermenting for about 8 months?? Thanks!

I normally add a sachet of us-05 at bottling to make sure my lsmbics carb up. Well I shouldn't say normally I have only done 2! As far as the yeast cake I'm pretty sure you can pitch on it. I have never done it but have heard of homebrewers doing it. Hope this helps!

Yeah thanks! I might as well go ahead and brew up another all malt batch and dump it on. The most expensive part would be the fruit.

That's what I did and it worked great. Haven't bottled my sour yet, but I suppose I'll add some yeast to it.

That's essentially how the solera-style brewing works. It's how I keep my lambic solera working. I rack out most of the beer and add fresh wort on top and let it get back to work. I've only replenished once so I don't know how well the outcome of this process will be but others seem to have good results so I'm optimistic.

Back