Needy Bastard (Guinness Like Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anarchos

Reaction score
I just brewed a stout this weekend in hopes that it will be ready for St. Paddy's day. I love Guinness, and well I wanted to start there on making my own dry irish stout. I found this recipe and figured I could start and make adjustments to make it mine. The reason I pick this is because I wanted to try to sour wort without souring a bottle of actual Guinness. If you have to use the real thing then what is the point.

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 5.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 35.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
ABV: 4.9

8 lbs. Pale Malt 2 row UK (Maris Otter) (3.0 SRM) Grain 79%
1 lb. Roasted Barley (300 SRM) Grain 11%
1 lb. Flaked Barley (2.0 SRM) Grain 11%
1 oz. East Kent Goldings [5%] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
1 oz. East Kent Goldings [5%] (60 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1 pkg Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast

Mash:
3.106 Gal 133 Degrees for 30 min
2.416 Gal 154 Degrees for 60 min
1.5 Gal 178 Degrees for 15 min

Set aside 20-24 oz of boiled wort and add additional crushed 2 row and let sit for 7-10 day loosely covered. this is for the sour process in stead of souring a bottle of Guinness.

Cool to rest of the wort to 65 Pitch Nottingham let ferment 7-10 days at 65, Rack to Secondary and add soured wort let sit for 14 days at 65.

Brewers note: Remember when brewing this beer that you will not get the creaminess of Guiness unless you have Nitrogen Injection.

I have not yet completed this one but I've heard great things and believe at the least it will be a great dry stout.

I believe you are supposed to pasteurize the soured wort before adding it to the remainder of the batch. The idea is to give a slight "tang" to the beer, not infect the whole batch.

Also, I think there must be a typo in your hop additions. You are adding the same amount of the same hop for the same time and getting different IBUs.

Otherwise that looks like an awesome recipe.

Yea your right it was a typo, its supposed to be one hop addition at 60 then one at 30. Also after the wort sours i'll boil it before adding to secondary

Back