Is Hemp GF? / First GF Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonneTerre

Reaction score
Hello, I have been brewing 10 years never gluten free though. So I am a newbie!!! I would really like to do this with some grains as I normally brew AG. Everyone keeps telling me how bad Sorghum tastes in the finished beer, so I have been thinking either an IPA or a Fruit beer (are these bad ideas as I have never tasted the stuff for myself).

I have read the whole GF section on homebrewtalk and still have many questions but I will try to be concise;

1: Is Hemp/Hemp Seed GF first off

2: Is Yeast Energizer GF

3: What grain is the "go to" or your personal favorite to mash GF

4: How terrible do you think the base recipe below sounds.... haha

Thanks in advance, Jacob

Celiac Beer_2011

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
14A-India Pale Ale(IPA)-English IPA

Minimum OG: 1.050 SG Maximum OG: 1.075 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.018 SG
Minimum IBU: 40 IBU Maximum IBU: 60 IBU
Minimum Color: 8.0 SRM Maximum Color: 14.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.00 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 5.00 US gals
Expected OG: 1.043 SG
Expected FG: 1.001 SG Apparent Attenuation: 98.7 %
Expected ABV: 5.6 % Expected ABW: 4.5 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 58.5 IBU E
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Liquid Extract - Sorghum 3lb 0oz 50.0 % 2.4 Start Of Boil
Sugar - Honey 3lb 0oz 50.0 % 1.2 End Of Boil

1 lb each of Millet, Hemp Seed, Quinoa, & Buckwheat malted, dried, then toasted lightly.

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Simcoe 13.0 % 0.50 oz 31.9 Bagged Pellet Hops 90 Min From End
US Amarillo 5.0 % 0.50 oz 8.0 Bagged Pellet Hops 25 Min From End
UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz 9.1 Bagged Pellet Gradually 10/5/1/0 mins
US Amarillo 5.0 % 0.50 oz 4.2 Bagged Pellet Gradually 10/5/1/0 mins
US Simcoe 13.0 % 0.25 oz 5.4 Bagged Pellet Gradually 10/5/1/0 mins

Malto-Dextrine 8.00 oz @ Kegging

Yeast
Danstar-Nottingham

I'm pretty new also but I think having 50% of your bill being honey is too much unless you want a malted Mead, not beer.

I know the yeast nutients I use is GF, most LHBS will let you know if you ask which Items they sell are GF.

As far as Hemp, it is a tricky subject and best left off brew forums in my book.

As far as hemp seed, however, this is a product that's rendered nonviable as seed and doesn't contain any psycoactive compounds (THC), and has been used in beer before. It's also a food product that is said to be gluten free (assuming no cross contamination). There are various items out there, including in other HBT's threads about the use of hempseed and the flavor it brings.

Personally, I can't really see the use since there are mention of it mostly bringing a nutty flavor to beer, or other foods that contain the seed. Similar flavor profile to flaxseed. It's also a pretty oily item.

I just can't find it in me to desire a nutty tasting beer. I use flaxseed in smoothies but I wind up using lots of chocolate to cover up the taste.

Not sure about in the USA, but hemp seeds/hemp hearts are perfectly legal to buy in Canada for the reasons mentioned in the previous post. Ultimately, though, they are pretty darned expensive. They are pretty delicious and nutricious, especially for vegetarians and vegans. I have thought about adding some to a beer, but haven't yet mostly because of the cost and because of the oil content.

Others have tried, though - do a search to see if you can find some positive results. Keep us posted on how it turns out as well.

I should have mentioned as well, because it's the US, and we're a US based site, we try to steer away from certain topics, even if it's legal elsewhere. However, hempseed is available and legal (again, rendered nonviable) in the US.
http://***********/component/resource/article/Indices/38-Ingredients/294-brewing-hempen-ale
There's a few threads, but unfortunately most of it degenerates into less beer based topics.

Also, I would actually suggest trying a sorghum based gluten free beer first. Find out what it tastes like, then come up with some ideas on how to augment the flavor. Try a Bards beer for example. You might come up with some ideas we haven't yet. Then you can decide if you want to try using sorghum, or even not use it at all, or try to malt your own, like many others of us.

Thank you all for your replies! Especially KevinM for the good read over at BYO. It was a very interesting read, it appears that they use between 10% and 20% hemp seed maximum and it is GF if handled right. I will give it a try as my friend who has been diagnosed with Celiacs has "taken up smoking and lessened her drinking" I think it is kinda shtick or gimmicky but we shall see what it tastes like and if she likes it. I am concerned about the oils though (I may soak the hemp seeds and skim the oil off the top).

I am really interested in Millet as a GF grain, from a lot of reading up on this site it appears that people have had good luck with the flavor it contributes. I would also like to thank "Lcasanova" for all the good reads here also.

I have edited the original recipe to include the mash. I have also heard that EKG's go well in GF beer so I am going that route. Ohh... one more question, can I put Amylase in the mash?

Please don't let the "hemp" part of this posting divert the real intent of this thread, which is my first GF beer attempt! So thanks for all the replies and advice!

Cheers and beers, Jacob

ive ben trying to work more on the all grain acpect of things. ive really liked quinoa, chestnuts, and millet. all the brews they have produced have been quite nice.

malting takes a fair bit of commitment. ive also found that longer mash times are very helpful as well as the addition of amalyase. ive posted some of my mash schedules in other threads, hunt around for quinoa. ive found that tapioca extract is great in tandem with millet.

also, i feel compelled to say this. if you are brewing for a friend, dont let your efforts be in vain. use new equipment, or scrub and wash several times. you dont want your final product to be contaminated. and good luck and have fun

Back