3rd batch, first real noob Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbel

Reaction score
So up until now I've found all my answers by searching the forums. I haven't looked to see if this is addressed but I've got a couple for you.

I just finished transferring my NB Surly Bitter clone to the secondary after 3wks in primary. The O.G. was 1.040 right where it was supposed to be.
Checked the gravity at transfer and at first it was showing 1.015, but I left it sit while I cleaned up and when I finished I noticed it was up to 1.02 :eek:. Upon further inspection I noticed a fair amount of CO2 bubbles on the hydrometer. So I push it down to knock them off and I'm confidant that the actual reading is 1.0095. That still seems a little high to me. My first 2 finished and were bottled at 1.008 after 3wks. I did notice when bringing the carboy down to the basement that the yeast seem to be back at it. Is this normal? I tastes good either way and I have 2 weeks in sencondary before I dryhop for a week. I'm confident it will taste good but not sure it will taste "right". What do you think.

One more thing. My Farmhouse has been in the bottle for three weeks and seems under carbonated. How long will it continue to increase? I keep gently agitating it every few days. It is being conditioned at around 63-64 degrees. Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert yet, but you gotta watch out for bubbles around the hydrometer, thats why they suggest spinning it as you drop it in, to help prevent them from giving a false reading. Also, I noticed with the one I got that it's measurements assume 60deg F temps, so you have to correct it based on actual temperatures. (which are very very minor)

It'll take a lot longer to carbonate/condition at 60-64F. Move to a place where it gets up to around 70F. I do that,& they're ready for the fridge for 5 days in 3-4 weeks. Average gravity beers,anyway. Of which yours is.

Bubbles will skew your hydrometer reading. Spinning the hydrometer as you drop it in the sample helps, but in my experience it's not enough. I usually let my sample sit on the counter for a few minutes, spin the hydrometer, dunk it, etc. for a few minutes, to get all the bubbles out before I call the reading official.

Also make sure you check your hydrometer documentation for the calibration temperature and adjustments for room temperature.

As for your current reading being "high", remember that every single brew is different. I know you said your previous brews finished at 1.008, but what was the target FG of this brew? Many beers have FGs of 1.009 or even higher. And even if you brewed the same recipe each time, and got the same OG each time, there are so many factors at work that determine what you beer finishes out at. I've learned to not sweat gravity differences of less than 3-5 points.

Also, it's pretty common for yeast to be roused by the activity of racking and/or moving vessels. You may get a little more activity in the next day or two, but I doubt it will hurt anything.

RDWHAHB!

As for the gravity reading, 1.0095 is probably right around your target, no? Starting at 1.040 that'd be about 76% attenuation.

Yeah, the temp is at 65 so doing the correction doesn't make a noticeable change. About 1.01

As for the gravity reading, 1.0095 is probably right around your target, no? Starting at 1.040 that'd be about 76% attenuation.
I guess your right. "Wyeast 1335 British Ale II Apparent attenuation: 73-76%":D

Latest posts

Back