OMG forgot to add priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
So I had the water for priming boiling and forgot to add the sugar. So I basically just added 2 cups of water to my beer and bottled. I saw the sugar sitting right next to the stove this morning (DAMN APFELWEIN!!!). Can I pop the caps, add some carb tabs, the re-bottle??? Or am I screwed?

I did this on my first batch. I ended up opening them all, then trying to put the right amount of sugar in each one. Needless to say, I messed that up pretty good. Some were undercarbed, but other were explosive!

Carb tabs definitely would've been the way to go. To bad I wasn't a member of this forum back then.

Yup, I had a coffee stout that wouldn't carb up. Opened them up and threw in the carb tabs. BUT, make sure you are quick. As soon as that first tablet hits the beer it's gonna start foaming. So do it in the sink and have someone help you cap it.

Okay, so I stopped by my LHBS and picked up some coopers carb drops. There was no foaming at all when I put them in. It went quick. When I was done, the 1st few I did were disolving well. Hopefully this pumkpin ale turns out good. This is a lesson learned.

Yup, I had a coffee stout that wouldn't carb up. Opened them up and threw in the carb tabs. BUT, make sure you are quick. As soon as that first tablet hits the beer it's gonna start foaming. So do it in the sink and have someone help you cap it.

Put it IN the cap, so when you invert it to cap it you're already in position to finish the capping.

I just did the same thing literally 5 minutes ago. I want to kick myself!!! I got every single bottle filled, capped, and put into place. Went to clean up everything, and what do I see on the stove? MY PRIMING SOLUTION! Makes it even worse that it's a Saturday. My LHBS is closed until Monday. Is there any harm in letting them sit in the bottles until Monday and then pop some carb tabs in there and re-cap them? I know this thread is old, but it was here so I didn't want to start a new one. I just hope I haven't ruined my first batch. Thanks guys.

you should be fine until monday. The only thing you are losing is time to carb, but with no priming sugar it's not like you are carbing currently anyways.

you should be fine until monday. The only thing you are losing is time to carb, but with no priming sugar it's not like you are carbing currently anyways.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing. I figure it's not much different from leaving it in the carboy a few more days. Let's hope everything works out. This whole ordeal makes me want to go straight into kegging. If I had the spare cash that's exactly what I'd do.

You should save up for it. It will make your life so much easier. Think about not having to de-label, clean, sanitize, fill, and cap 40-50 bottles per batch. On top of that, not having to wait for your beer to carb up over 2-6 weeks. Life is good when you keg my friend. I highly recommend it.

Sigh... I just did this. 7th batch, and I had 3/4 of them capped before I realized it.

I have some Munton's Tabs, but the last time I used them I ended up with floaters and junk in the beer. Any other ideas? Has anyone ever tried using sugar packets? Was my Muton's tabs experience a fluke?

No problem. Cooper's drops or Munton's carb tabs will work fine.

Yeah, right. When I use the Munton's carb tabs I get a little bit of floaty sh*t in the neck of the bottle. I don't have a problem with that.

So I had the water for priming boiling and forgot to add the sugar. So I basically just added 2 cups of water to my beer and bottled. I saw the sugar sitting right next to the stove this morning (DAMN APFELWEIN!!!). Can I pop the caps, add some carb tabs, the re-bottle??? Or am I screwed?

Unfortunately your entire house is about to blow up. I'd get out if I were you.

It's a beautiful ale. I'd hate to crap it up with carb tabs.

What's the thoughts on using packets of sugar? Rip and pour... They can even be "free" with a few cups of coffee! :) Do you think they're too unsanitary?

I've heard it should be fine. I usually use dextrose (vs sucrose) though. But sometimes (usually on my larger bottles since there's less of them to fill) I'll directly put dextrose into the bottle, no problems doing that.

I can't recall if it does anything to flavor or yeast amount though.

It's a beautiful ale. I'd hate to crap it up with carb tabs.

What's the thoughts on using packets of sugar? Rip and pour... They can even be "free" with a few cups of coffee! :) Do you think they're too unsanitary?

i did this with my first batch of Mr. Beer. Mine ended up undercarbed but I also guessed at the amount of sugar in a packet. i just went to 7-11, bought a cup of coffee and grabbed a bunch of packets. The beer ended clear and no infection at all, so it was fine for me aside from the undercarbing issue like i said. If i remember right i used around 2 packets per bottle (the 1 liter PET Mr. Beer bottles). I might've actually used 3 but either way i should've used at least one more per bottle.
Was it the most pro/classy thing I've done? no. Did it work? yeah more or less it did. I wouldn't plan it but in a pinch I'd do it again.
I would however recommend using a small funnel. A few times when pouring the sugar in it got around the opening of the bottle and it stuck there since the bottles were wet with sanitizer. The funnels that you use to fill an iron with water would be perfect, just sanitize, get it dry (or at least mostly dry and go to town.

You can dissolve your priming sugar in 250 cc H2O making sure that it is completely mixed then use a 5 cc syringe and put 5 cc in each of 50 bottles and recap. Or to make it easier and you don't mind wasting some priming sugar you can just double the volume of H2O and priming sugar and throw out the rest of the soln when you finish (or save it for your next batch).

That would be a good thing, I think. Not much beer would leak out if it foamed up, and the foam would purge all the oxygen from the bottle. I think that is how the pros do it when they bottle...dispense the beer in such a way that it foams up and over the top, purging the oxygen.

Hello everyone... I need help with the same issue. The only problem is that I realized that I forgot to prime my beer after 9 days... Am I screwed? Or can still uncap and add the sugar at this stage?
Thanks a lot

Hello everyone... I need help with the same issue. The only problem is that I realized that I forgot to prime my beer after 9 days... Am I screwed? Or can still uncap and add the sugar at this stage?
Thanks a lot

You should be fine. You basically just did a secondary fermentation in a real small container. You're probably better off using carbonation drops than sugar.

You should be fine. You basically just did a secondary fermentation in a real small container. You're probably better off using carbonation drops than sugar.
Hi. Thanks but the problem is I don't have access to those living in Such an isolated area as fa as home brewing is concerned. See, I am in Tunisia, so any specialty stuff is is out of the question!
I think I am just gonna dedicate a few hours into uncapping, adding sugar and rcaooing kind of procedure trying to save this beautiful batch!
Thanks buddy!

If your stateside, domino dots sugar cubes will work if the LHBS is closed and you find yourself in this situation again.

Back