New aluminum brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHawman

Reaction score
So I got a 7.5 gallon aluminum brew kettle and am wondering if I need to do anything to it before I use it?

I've heard some say that you have to boil water in it first to generate the oxide layer but then others say that its only if you scratch it. So do I need to boil water in it before I go to brew my first batch in it?

Wash it out with normal dish washing soap. There may still be a slight oil residue on it when the kettle was draw formed. Other than that there is nothing else you need to do.

After you wash it out with soap and rinse well, fill it with water and boil it for about an hour. While it may or may not make a huge difference, why brew with it before building up the oxide layer?

I asked my best bud who is a chemistry professor and he strongly advised boiling water for 30-60 minutes prior to the first use. He also mentioned to have the lid on for part of the boil.

Just FYI

Thanks I will boil it first since it will also let me see how long it will take my stove to boil a full 6 gallons.

As a side note: I was under the impression that the oxide layer generates spontaneously in contact with the water in the air. So why wouldn't the oxide layer be there as it sat in the box for a few months?

from the wiki

Simply boiling a batch of wort will not remove enough metal from your aluminum pot to get into your beer and cause metallic off flavours, particularly if you build up a passive oxide layer inside the pot first. For new pots, this is easily achieved by either boiling the pot full of water for 30 mins to one hour, or by putting it in your oven for 10 mins at 350 F.

also once you get that oxide layer built up do not clean it with anything abrasive or you will scratch it off and have to boil water again.

passive oxide layer should be almost black if I'm not mistaken

from the wiki

also once you get that oxide layer built up do not clean it with anything abrasive or you will scratch it off and have to boil water again.

passive oxide layer should be almost black if I'm not mistaken

Ah ha! So that's why the inside of my ten gallon aluminum pot is black. I honestly never knew that little factoid. I've boiled 20 or so batches in it already but that sucker turned black during the first boil. I always thought that it was just the malt staining it.

As a side note: I was under the impression that the oxide layer generates spontaneously in contact with the water in the air. So why wouldn't the oxide layer be there as it sat in the box for a few months?

It might generate spontaneously (no idea, really), but even if it does, it might take years to get a nice layer.

You'll know it's there when you see it. The pot will turn very VERY dark.

The oxygen released by the boiling of water speeds the process exponentially. I wouldn't want a brand new pot to sit in a box for months before I could put it to good use... say, brewing up a fine ale! :mug:

The oxide layer on my aluminum pot is pretty close to black in color. Also, I started using it before creating the oxide layer and the acidity of the wort prevented it from developing. After two batches I boiled just water in it for an hour or so and now I have a pretty uniform oxide layer.

I just "broke in" my new 20 Gallon stock pot. I filled it with tap water (WI water, it was cold), and brought it to a boil. Then I turned the heat off and let it sit for about 45 minutes. I have a nice dark layer on the inside of the pot.

Back