Recipes for Gas Grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I just moved from an apartment to a house. Someone gave me a nice gas grill because they didn't want it anymore. I have no charcoal grill :( In the future I'm planning on getting an electric smoker.

Right now I'm looking for tasty recipes for my gas grill. I know how to get things going on a good smoker but I cant for the life of me think of anything but steak and chicken with an abhorent amount of seasoning on the gas grill. Any ideas from the hungry crowd?

:mug:

Corn on the cob. Salt + butter wrapped in aluminium foil.

Roasted Veggies.

I've heard of pizza on a gas grill (mine will get way hotter than my oven, but I haven't tried it)

How about a pork tenderloin? wrap in bacon, sear quickly over very hot grill, turn the heat down and finish it off.

My steaks are excellent on the gas grill, BTW. A light dusting with Slap ya Mamma, a little extra salt, and rub down with olive oil. Sear both sides on very high heat, turn down to medium and finish. Not to start a fight, but I fail to see why a properly seasoned steak cooked on a gas grill is somehow inferior to one flavored by the process. They both have their good points, and bad.

Maybe so. I always can taste the gas grill-ness of it for some reason. Could be the boogeyman. That pork tenderloin sounds great. I'd also love to do a pizza. Good ideas.

Atomic buffalo turds, there's a recipe on here somewhere for those.

Ok for anyone curious about what he's talking about here's the link.

Here's the recipe from Edwort:
I clean and devein the Jalapanos then stuff with cream cheese, some garlic salt, and a smokey link sausage. Put the two halves back together, wrap with a piece of center cut bacon, secure with a round toothpick, then smoke with hickory wood at 325 for 45 minutes.

ABTsandBeer.jpg

Fajitas

Rub:

1/4 cup paprika
2 tbls coarse salt
2 tbls pure chili powder (not blend)
2 tbls cracked black pepper
2 tbls garlic powder
1 ½ tlbs sugar
1 tbls onion powder
1 tbls dried cilantro
1 ½ tps cumin
½ ground allspice

Mix and store in sealed container.

The Fajitas

2 lbs skirt steak
2 tbls olive oil
2 to 3 tbls rub
½ cup fresh lime juice
1 bunch scallion
1 large onion, ½ inch slices
1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
18 small flour tortillas

Fixins

Salsa of your choice
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and finely diced
1 large red onion finely diced
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped cilantro
1 1/3 cups sour cream

1. Arrange skirt steak in a glass baking dish and brush with the oil. Sprinkle the rub on both sides and pat in with your fingers. Cover and marinate meat in the refridgerator for 1 to 2 hours. Add the lime juice and let marinate for an additional 30 minutes more.

2. Preheat grill to high.

3. Place the vegetables on the grate and grill until nicely charred, 2 to 4 minutes per side for the scallion; 4 to 6 minutes per side for the onion slices; 3 to 4 minutes per side for the peppers. Stem and seed the peppers, slice into strips. Either put on platter or put in oiled cast iron frying pan and put on grill away from direct heat to keep warm.

4. Place the skirt steak on the grate and grill to taste, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on the diagonal and place on platter or warmed cast iron pan.

5. Warm the tortillas on the grill until soft and pliable, 10 to 20 seconds per side. Place in cloth lined basket and cover to keep warm.

6. Set out bowls of fixins.

Sweet Jesus, that sounds so good. I've got to find some skirt steak. (is that like roast beef curtains?) :D

Pizza, man. My wife does this all the time. She rolls the dough out nice and thin, spritzes one side with olive oil or Pam, throws that side down on the grill for a minute to char a bit. Flip it over, do the same to the top side, put down your fixins, pizza sauce, cheese, we use fresh basil from the garden, oregano, tomatoes, pepperoni, whatever. Close the lid on that sucker for a few minutes and pizza.

It's so much better on the grill. Not greasy with that slightly charred but not burned taste. Yummy. :D

Lots of good stuff you can do on a gas grill. Check out any of Steve Raichlen's books or his TV or web site at Barbeque U. He is a master of the grill.

Also you can simulate a smoker on a gas grill, although not quite the same. Take wood chips and soak for a couple hours in water. Put them in an aluminum foil pocket with some holes poked in the top. Place foil under grill burner heat shield next to burner and set heat for about 250 deg. You may have to play with foil placement but this will give you a small blanket of smoke in your grill.

Some of my favs.
Grilled chick thighs
Make a basic mop sauce of vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, onion slices and let combine for 1-2 hours.
Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic
Grill chick for 30-40 mins over medium heat moping with mop sauce every time you turn
Top with your fav barbeque sauce and grill another 3-5 mins per side to carmelize barbeque sauce
Makes some way moist chick thighs

Grilled Pineapple : This is awesome stuff
Cut pineapple into 1/2" thick ring slices.
Make a mix of 2C water, 1C rum, 1Tbsp cinnamin, 1Tbsp brown sugar
Marinated pineapple slices 1-2 hours.
Grill over high heat 2-3 mins per side adding some of marinade mix on top during grilling

Mexican corn on the cob: Sounds wierd but is yummy
Remove husks put cobs on grill med to high heat
Rotate every couple mins while brushing with an olive oil/butter mixture and sprinkling with sea salt
After about 15 mins remove from grill
Brush corn with good coat of mayonnaise
Dust corn with a chili powder/parmesan cheese mix

Smokers and charcoil/wood definitely add a whole new level to barbeque, but don't let the snobs fool you. Plenty of good stuff you can do with gas.

That pork tenderloin sounds great.
It got my mouth watering just thinking about it so I IMed (is that even the right term?) and told her I was cooking dinner.

Stopped at my little grocery store/meat market on the way home...out of pork tenderloin :mad:

Porterhouse steaks, on the other hand, were on sale for $5.23/lb :rockin:
Cooked it, brussell sprouts, and potatoes (all on the gas grill, TYVM) :D

Salmon. Marinate salmon fillets (1lb ea.) in a 50/50 mix of kikkoman soy sauce & fresh squeezed lemon juice for about 30 mins. You can add a couple slices of onion if you like. Spray your grill with oil & fire it up, keep it on med. flame. Place fillets flesh side down. The trick to fish on the grill is to only turn it once. You should be able to tell when the fillets should be turned by checking the thick side; when it looks cooked about halfway through, gently turn.

The exact time will vary with the heat your grill puts out & the thickness of the fillets. Don't let the flesh side burn. The skin/scale side will bur a little, but that's OK since you won't be eating the skin/scales anyway. You can spinkle some dried or fresh dill over it if you want. Serve with small boiled red potatoes & sauteed fresh asparagus or green beans. Pale ale goes well with this dish, as does a good riesling. Regards, GF.

EDIT: If you want a little smoke flavour, add a few drops of liquid smoke (mesquite works best I think) to the marinade. GF.

You can use the gas grill like a smoker. It isn't perfect but its better than nothing. Make up a small box out of several layers of Aluminum foil and lay it on the stones at the far end of your grill. Turn the heat down to low on the grill directly under the foil box and add your wood chips. Whatever you are cooking goes on the far end with no heat under it at all. I've even done turkey breasts this way. Its not ideal but it works and it's better than not smoking. The only ones offended are the purists, everyone else is too busy eating.

PTN

Salmon. Marinate salmon fillets (1lb ea.) in a 50/50 mix of kikkoman soy sauce & fresh squeezed lemon juice for about 30 mins. You can add a couple slices of onion if you like. Spray your grill with oil & fire it up, keep it on med. flame. Place fillets flesh side down. The trick to fish on the grill is to only turn it once. . . .

Salmon skin is nature's tinfoil. Just oil the grill, fire that grill up nice and hot, put the salmon on skin side down and don't flip it at all. You might need to move it to a medium temp zone halfway through . . but no flipping.

I'm also not a fan of marinating salmon. I usually season it with kosher salt, ground pepper and lemon slices, then put a fresh sprig of rosemary on top once it's on the grill.

I've been on Atkins for the last 4 weeks and have become a grilling fiend. The key is that everything has to be prepared with minimum effort so that I'm not pissing away the evening with endless prep.

The first thing I did was stop by the local hippy veggie and spice store - where they have a huge collection of bulk spices in giant glass jars, including pre-mixed spice mixes. I bought liberal quantities of various mixes - tandoori, garam masala, taco seasoning, bbq rub, Jamaican jerk etc.

I also bought a big bag of wooden skewers. Soak them in water for 20 minutes before you add your meat so that they don't burn so easily.

Here are some good ones I've done, just sort of making it up as I go along.:

Garam masala kafta kabobs:
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
liberal amounts of garam masala spice mix - probably upwards of a full ounce
kosher salt

Chop onions and garlic super, super fine and mix all ingredients thoroughly. Grab small handfuls of meat mix, carefully roll it between your hands until it stretches into a 6" tube of meat, about 3/4" thick, then thread that onto a skewer. Throw on grill on high heat.

Teriyaki beef skewers (not-atkins friendly)
Buy 1 lb best $3.99/lb beef you can find
3 cloves garlic
2 thai chilis
bottled teriyaki glaze (glaze, not marrinade or sauce, which will be thinner)

cut beef into small 1/2" - 3/4" pieces.
chop up garlic and chilis very fine
add everything to ziplock bag and add liberal amounts of bottled glaze
marinate for 3 hours
thread beef onto skewars
cook over very hot fire - approx 2 minutes. the sugar should char a bit.

Red curry pork tenderloin salad
1 pork tenderloin
1 bottle Trader Joes thai red curry sauce
salad greens
avocado
limes
olive oil

Marinate tenderloin in ziplock with 2 oz of curry sauce.
Cut avocado into 1/4" slices. Cut limes into wedges
Sear tenderloin over high heat, then move to med temp zone to bake. Remove from heat when interior reads 150 degrees and place in bowl to rest.
tent with tinfoil and allow to rest for 20 minutes
slice very thin (1/4" slices) on a diagonal, then move slices back to resting bowl, add 2 more oz of red curry sauce and toss meat with sauce.
move bowl to fridge for 20 minutes

make small bed of salad greens, add avocado, season with salt, olive oil and lime juice
lay down a number of slices of pork over salad and enjoy

Jamaican jerk:
I've just used the jamaican jerk seasoning rub on various things. They pretty much all involve coating the meat with the following mixture:

Jamaican jerk seasoning,
fresh ginger
garlic
thai chilis
lime juice

Ribs: coat ribs with above mixture, allow to sit overnight, then bake in oven at 250 degrees for 2-3 hours, then finish off over very hot grill - 5 minutes per side, until slight charring and fat begins really flowing

Chicken: coat and marinate - overnight is great, then grill over medium heat.

The standouts on this list were the tenderloin salad and the jerked ribs.

Enjoy!

Back