Corney pressure release valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkwudz

Reaction score
I picked up half a dozen corneys for $15 each, didn't really look at them for that price. I was looking at them last night in the garage and noticed one does not have a release valve in the lid. Can replacement lids be purchased, or could a valve be added somehow?

I just don't see the need for the valves.

Sure, they are convienient for purging the headspace but, a wooden chopstick pressed lightly oon the poppet (gas) does the same trick.

Unless you are running soda and 90psi of gas you don't really need the valve. IIRC, the valves are rated to release at something like 120psi so if you get anywhere near that kind of pressure you've done something seriously wrong.

IMO, that valve is just another place for a potential leak.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I just don't see the need for the valves.

Sure, they are convienient for purging the headspace but, a wooden chopstick pressed lightly oon the poppet (gas) does the same trick.

Unless you are running soda and 90psi of gas you don't really need the valve. IIRC, the valves are rated to release at something like 120psi so if you get anywhere near that kind of pressure you've done something seriously wrong.

You know you have a great point there. Only reason I could even see needing one would be for a quick purge of the tank when initially hooking up to gas, and even then not sure it's necessary.

GilaMinumBeer said:

and they do leak a lot...any of my kegs that have a hard time holding pressure leak out of that valve. I have 2 kegs that will be getting a ball of JB Weld stuffed into that hole to seal them up once and for all.

Back