Ideal ferm temps for Belgian Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm brewing a Belgian Tripel next week (OG 1.073) and using two smack packs of Wyeast 3787. The temperature range for the yeast is supposed to be 64-78. Can someone recommend a schedule for Ideal fermentaion temps for this one? I'm going to go with a long primary and bottle right from that. So what temp should I pitch at and then begin the fermentation for how long and so forth? Could you describe your results also? Thanks a bunch

Jamil says to start the temps off at 64* then ramp it up slowly to 70* over the course of a week. He also recommends bulk aging it at temperatures from 40-50* after your fermentation is complete to calm the hot alcohol flavors, which are out of style for a Belgian Tripel.

Amanda

Jamil says to start the temps off at 64* then ramp it up slowly to 70* over the course of a week. He also recommends bulk aging it at temperatures from 40-50* after your fermentation is complete to calm the hot alcohol flavors, which are out of style for a Belgian Tripel.

Amanda

I'd go with the Jamil method. Start at 64 raise slowly to 70 and then keep it at 70 until the end of the ferment. I've had very good success following Jamil's instructions. Usually it's ready to bottle after 2-3 weeks in the primary.

2 packs may still be slightly under pitching for a 5 gallon batch. It depends on the freshness date. Perhaps you could make a starter.

+1 to the starter. These guys are good on the temp recomendations. Also, for 3787 USE A BLOW OFF TUBE!

Amanda

so you bulk age it at 40-50*F for how long? then what? do you leave it out to settle at room temps for a certain time before bottling?

I like to start at 65* and go up to 75 over 7 days. maybe 80 for a day or two more if it is warm enough.

I like the yeasty flavor. I do this with WLP530, W1214, and WLP570

so you bulk age it at 40-50*F for how long? then what? do you leave it out to settle at room temps for a certain time before bottling?

Jamil says to age it at that temp for a month or so. Personally, I would transfer and condition in the bottles at room temperature after that aging time.

Personally, I just keg the beer as soon as the fermentation is finished and the yeast has flocculated. I let the beer condition in the keg. I see no reason why you could not let your beer condition in the bottle. That's how the monks do it.

With 3787 I like the low 60s to low 70s ramp thing. Get's you a lot of spice and subtle fruit. Starting higher will get you tons of fruit (more like Westvleteren than Westmalle).

Back