Need help/critique, converting extract recipe to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I originally produced this recipe as an extract but today me and my wallet went wild and got everything I need for all grain. I am in the midst of producing an all grain version but I could use some help. Any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Original Extract Recipe
5.00lb Dark Dry Extract
3.30lb Munich LME
0.75lb Special Roast
0.75lb Victory Malt
0.50lb Caramel/Crystal 60L
0.25lb Chocolate Malt

(The hop profile really shouldn't change anything and stay the same I imagine)

New All-Grain Recipe
5.50lb 2-row Pale
4.25lb Munich Malt 10L
2.75lb CaraAmber
0.75lb Victory Malt
0.75lb Special Roast
0.50lb Caramel Crystal 60L
0.25lb Chocolate Malt

So far according to hopville's calculator these give me close to the same OG, FG, SRM, IBU, ABV, and cal/pt. I would really enjoying hearing some of your critiques or suggestions.

Thank you again for your time.

Kyle

I converted the grains in Beersmith and it threw out the Munich and went with:

10.55 Pale Ale (2 Row) US
1.15# Special Roast
1.15# Victory
.77# Caramel 60L
.38# Chocolate

OG 1.063

I suppose you could use 8.55 2 row and 2# Munich ...

I based that on a 5.5 Gallon batch, 7 gallon boil cause I didn't know what your boil size was... you need to do a full boil if you are going to do AG though.

Right, sorry, I have that lol,

using a 90min boil time, and the recipe I indicated above, with a .15gal/lb absorption and gal/hr boil off, in a 5gal batch, I need 4.61gal mash, sparge of 4.1 gal and boil vol of 6.5gal, although I did just realize my recipe had me at 80% efficiency... brought that down to 75% and now I have

After speaking with my LHBS owner, and a tutorial over caraAmber, my recipe I think is taking shape as....

10.75lb American 2row
01.00lb Munich Malt 10L
00.75lb Caramel/Crystal 60L
00.75lb Victory malt
00.75lb Special Roast
00.50lb Chocolate Malt
00.38lb CaraAmber (6oz)
00.25lb Carapils/Dextrine

1.25oz Warrior 60min boil
1.25oz Northern Brewer 35min boil
2.00oz Willamette 20min boil
1.00oz Willamette 5min boil

this ends up giving me a 4.69gal mash and boil of 6.5gal

Your calculator said to remove the munich? I figured that was a perfect match to the munich extract I added in my extract version.

Well it's a stupid converter, it doesn't know you don't want to replace all the LME/DME with other than the base grain. Your way is MUCH more correct of an adaptation, IMHO... I have 'Brewing Classic Styles' and when they convert recipes they keep the LME / DME's apart like you are preserving the 'intent' of the extract recipe or the ag recipe depending upon the way you are going.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

:mug:

Back