Cold front destroys lager beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasseg

Reaction score
I am fermenting a lager beer, but we are experience a cold front so the temperature has dropped considerably in the attic. The wort does no longer ferment, it is just above zero. I was thinking of freezing it and wait untill the cold front is over, do you think the yeast would survive? If it is left in the attic maybe it is suceptible to infections like mold?

cheers

How long has it been fermenting? What is the SG? It's likely better to ferment it out at a warmer temperature than leave it in the attic.

How long has it been fermenting? What is the SG? It's likely better to ferment it out at a warmer temperature than leave it in the attic.

current SG is 1.039 from the starting 1.048. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. Indoor is way too warm for lager fermentation, I will check the celler, but I suspect it to be too warm as well. How about freezing the whole batch and wait for warmer times?

current SG is 1.039 from the starting 1.048. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. Indoor is way too warm for lager fermentation, I will check the celler, but I suspect it to be too warm as well. How about freezing the whole batch and wait for warmer times?

If the beer freezes, it won't ferment. Yeast doesn't take well to freezing.

If the beer freezes, it won't ferment. Yeast doesn't take well to freezing.

thanks. So what to do? I was wondering if I bring the bucket indoors but insulate it very well, maybe by the time it reaches too high temperature it will be ready for lagering? A definitive long shot, but it might work.

I have the same issue. Inside is too warm and have the primary in a refrigerator in the garage. I am not too worried that fermentation has not started as I brewed 48hrs ago and this is my 7th batch and got over worrying about the lack of visible bubbling too soon.

The temp inside the refrigerator is holding steady at 36 degrees. I am using Wyeast Pilsen Lager yeast and says to ferment @ 42-52F, should I be concerned if I stay above freezing?

I have the same issue. Inside is too warm and have the primary in a refrigerator in the garage. I am not too worried that fermentation has not started as I brewed 48hrs ago and this is my 7th batch and got over worrying about the lack of visible bubbling too soon.

The temp inside the refrigerator is holding steady at 36 degrees. I am using Wyeast Pilsen Lager yeast and says to ferment @ 42-52F, should I be concerned if I stay above freezing?

It won't ferment below about 42-43 degrees. At 36 degrees, the yeast will fall out and go dormant.

Thanks for the info and I'll get that puppy warmed up. Will the yeast wake up after dormancy when I get the wort above 42? If it doesn't I would guess pitching again should resolve the problem?

Thanks for the info and I'll get that puppy warmed up. Will the yeast wake up after dormancy when I get the wort above 42? If it doesn't I would guess pitching again should resolve the problem?

It should. If you made a big starter, it should get started when it gets to the mid-40s. If you underpitched the lager, though, you may need to get closer to 50 before any signs of fermentation will start. Swirl it up gently to resuspend any yeast that fell asleep to the bottom, and warm it slowly as to not shock the yeast. Once it gets in its optimum fermentation temperature zone, it should get going for you.

Yeast can be frozen, but leaving them frozen isn't a good idea. If possible, bring it back up to 10C.

If you have an airlock on the fermenter, you don't need to worry about mold spores getting into it.

Latest posts

Back