Moving my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPB

Reaction score
I am trying my first batch with a Lager yeast (Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager) I had a cool spot in the basement all picked out. It was maintaining around 67-68. The batch has been in the primary for about three days and the temp has started climbing to around 72. Do I let it keep going where it is? or do I try and move it? I have an frig that I could probably use, but I would have to move it about 4 miles down the road. Are there any other reasonable solutions? Either way I will finish it and learn from it.

I like that yeast at 62-65 degrees for primary. If it's creeping up, there are a couple of things you can do. One is to let it, and you may get some fruity esters that might not be too bad. I put mine in an Igloo cooler, and put water in around it and add a couple of frozen water bottles, to maintain a temperature of 62 degrees. I use a floating thermometer in there, to gauge the water bath temperature.

That yeast is pretty tolerant of higher temps, but I've never gone over 68 degrees with it, so I can't tell you for sure what kind of esters you'll get. I'm making a steam beer with it again next week, and I'll keep it in the low 60s.

Another thing I like to do with that yeast is to leave it longer in primary. It can throw off some diacetyl, so it needs to stay on the primary yeast cake longer than most ales. Then, I like to rack it and keep it in the high 40s, low 50s for a couple of weeks, like a pseudo lager. It really gives a nice crisp feel to the beer made with that strain.

Back