Growing hops in Mississippi.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How deep is your hardpan? Is it on top or is it under you top soil? I think if you could break through and till up the hard pan and make a raised bed for the plants, you should have no trouble at all.
---Mark F.---

Cascade and nugget full rooted crowns.

P3050013.jpg

P3050014.jpg

1 plant in 10 gallon would be ok for the first year or two I think, but really crowded by third year. A 55 gallon barrel would be better.
---Mark F.---

New shots taken today. Cascade in top photo same as previous shots.
Nugget from previous shots had been sold, so lower pictures are different.
---Mark f.---

P3100016.jpg

P3100017.jpg

A couple shots taken of my main hops in ground.
They are well behind the growth of potted hops because of soil temp, but should really start taking off soon.

P3190023.jpg

P3190024.jpg

Well it's Thursday again, so another weeks growth on hops.
They are due to get thinned down, that's a whole lot of pinching off.
Last shot is in front of store, Cascade that has already been thinned down, and is ahead of the others because of it being in a container and the soil temp being higher sooner.
---Mark F.---

P4030004.jpg

P4030005.jpg

P4030007.jpg

looking good my cascade and nugget are growing like crazy, I will see you Saturday to pick up the Citra and other ingredients.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, see you Saturday then.
We had a lot of rain and wind here last night, so I walked about and then went back for my camera to see if I could do any of it justice, I couldn't, but here are some pictures anyway.
First shot is a big old poplar tree that had three large trunks from one base.
I had considered making a tree house for my grandson in the center of it, but am happy I didn't now.
Second shot is a small waterfall that is only like this after a big rain, the picture does not capture that in full.
Third shot of pavilion from other side of small waterfall.
Fourth shot is at the east end of the pavilion looking back at the cabin end.
Fifth shot is pulled back a bit to take in some of the spring beauty like the red bud blooms and sassafras buds. That is the only picture that seems to come a close to capturing what my eyes see.

P4040003.jpg

P4040004.jpg

P4040007.jpg

P4040009.jpg

P4040010.jpg

Ok!!!! Got my cascade in the mail the other day and got them in the ground today.

Dug a good hole into my hard pan and put a bottomless pot in the hole. Filled hole w potting soil and composted cow manure.

How long until I should see sprouts????

Will keep y'all posted!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397338654.804368.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397338673.413321.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397338693.672484.jpg

My three original crowns are up and growing, two Cascades and one Centennial. Last year I did not trim any of the bines and I had some that grew along the bed. I covered three with dirt, made a rope runner and let them grow. Two of these sprouted this year. They are about two feet from the original plant. Should I treat them as a separate plant?

Sorry about the delay have not been on here since Saturday morning.
BadDeacon, you could see them anytime soon, they don't take long to get going.
rdbc2011, yes, you can separate those outgrowths into independent plants and the same with rhizomes. They are like a surface root runner. I may get to some cuttings tomorrow and will get some pictures when I do.
--Mark F.--

Sorry about the delay have not been on here since Saturday morning.
BadDeacon, you could see them anytime soon, they don't take long to get going.
rdbc2011, yes, you can separate those outgrowths into independent plants and the same with rhizomes. They are like a surface root runner. I may get to some cuttings tomorrow and will get some pictures when I do.
--Mark F.--

Thanks

First picture is before starting, but I had previously pinched off many shoots.
I did a lot more pinching off of shoots and lower leafs to clear it out some before taking my cuttings.
Second picture is a very good cutting from outer edge.
Third picture is a good cutting, if there are some roots out of it, it should do ok.
Fourth picture is a rhizome pulled back before snipping.
Fifth picture is the plant after thinning down. No cuttings are from center crown.
I put all these cuttings along with a lot that are not as good and set them in a large planter, Will cull out the ones that do not make it before putting the growing ones into individual pots.
Hope this is of some assistance, --Mark F.--

P4150026.jpg

P4150028.jpg

P4150029.jpg

P4150030.jpg

P4150031.jpg

Most welcome.
New pictures from Thursday,
First one is cascade in front of store at 7 ft.
Second is hops at home, tallest cascade is 6 ft, nugget is 5 ft.
Third is view of cascade cuttings, and looks like most of them are going to take, even some I thought wouldn't.
--Mark F.--

P4170001.jpg

P4170002.jpg

P4170003.jpg

I cut two rhizomes from the Centennial plant and one seems to be doing well. My others, Cascade and Centennial are over six feet.

Mine popped up and stalled. They aren't in the best location. I think it's a combo of too much shade, and the cool nights we've had. I plan on moving them eventually, just too much going on this year to mess with it.

Hate to see no progress on your hops BadDeacon, But they may still need more time.
Shots of my hops,
First is Cascade at 9+ ft and Nugget at 8 ft.
Second is Cascade in front of store at 9 ft.
Third is Cascade cuttings.

P4240001.jpg

P4240004.jpg

P4240003.jpg

This weeks showing on hops,
1st and 2nd pictures of hops at home with view of burrs on cascades.
3rd , in front of store, near to top of 16 ft wall.
4th , cuttings needing to be separated to individual pots.
--Mark F.--

P5090006.jpg

P5090007.jpg

P5090008.jpg

P5090004.jpg

Cascades have grown to the top of the trellis at 17 feet. The Centennial are not growing as fast although they sprouted first.

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

Pictures from this morning of,
#1 , Hops at home.
#2 , Cascade cones.
#3 , Cascade at store.

Cascade cones at home coming along nicely.
Plant at store has not even flowered, and it should have.
It is equal in every condition as the others except one, sunlight.
It is close to building on east facing wall, has full sunlight from dawn till noon, but that is still lacking looks like to me. I will see how it does for rest of year, then move if needed.
--Mark F.--

P5220009.jpg

P5220008.jpg

P5220010.jpg

Hey tdbc2011,
How are yours coming along, flowers?, cones?
--Mark F.--

I have some pretty good cones on the cascades but nothing like yours. The centennial have a few cones and a good many flowers. What do you use to fertilize and how often do you water.

I selected four bines from each crown.

Looks like the cascades will grow the best. I have one sprout that wants to climb about one foot from the crown. I will try to remove and pot it tomorrow.

Yours look great.

Good to here yours are coming along nicely.
I like to use miracle grow, a half dose mix, twice a week, but for lack of time lately, has been more like once a week.
As for straight watering, I go by how wet or dry the weather has been, or by sticking my finger in the soil about an inch, how dry it feels.
If its high moisture, leave it as is, if slightly damp add about 1 gal. per plant, if it is dusty dry about 2 gal. per.

I'll be interested to know how well your centennial does compared to the cascade.

--Mark F.--

Good to here yours are coming along nicely.
I like to use miracle grow, a half dose mix, twice a week, but for lack of time lately, has been more like once a week.
As for straight watering, I go by how wet or dry the weather has been, or by sticking my finger in the soil about an inch, how dry it feels.
If its high moisture, leave it as is, if slightly damp add about 1 gal. per plant, if it is dusty dry about 2 gal. per.

I'll be interested to know how well your centennial does compared to the cascade.

--Mark F.--

Last year (first year), my centennial took off pretty well. I purchased cascade and columbus at the same time. Only the centennial sprouted. I purchased two cascade plants online but it was pretty late in the summer.
I will have two crowns of each this year so I should have enough for a couple of brews.

First of all, happy to find this thread, much useful information from y'all here.

I live in Mount Olive and am considering buying a couple of rhizomes next spring. It is nice to have some tips here as to selection of types. I am curious about one thing, though: you all seem to grow vertically. Will they do well grown horizontally on fencelines? Anybody tried that in this area? That'll be the way I'd need to do it, if at all possible.

New pictures taken today.
#1 , Hops at home.
#2 , Cascade cones, mature size.
#3 , Nugget cones.
#4 , Cascade plant at store, east side of building, no direct afternoon sun, long side arms, still no cones or flowers. Sure would like to have full sun on it.

Hey Paschendale, gladly give any assistance I can.
From what I've gathered, you can train them to go horizontally, but the yield would be less than that of vertically.

--Mark F.--

P5290002.jpg

P5290003.jpg

P5290004.jpg

P5290005.jpg

Thanks, Mark. I had wondered. Less yield may not be a problem, for now my needs would be pretty modest. Your plants are lovely!

I started using Miracle Grow last week. With that and the rain the past two days the Centennial are taking off and may reach the top of the trellis. The cones on both are both more numerous and larger than last year.

I have seen some of the small white flies but I sprayed with some natural insecticide soap and have had no leaf damage so far.

Back