michelobe light cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
I saw this in the grocery story tonight and I must say... Its the worst tasting concoction I have ever tasted. If you see this stuff, don't do it. Let someone else waste their money on it. The ingredients should have scared me away but I read them after purchasing a six pack. "Hard cider(water, apple juice concnetrate, dextrose), water, sucrose, malic acid, natural flavor, stevia leaf sweetner, sulphites".
At least the bottles are clear and the labels peel off easily. Unfortunately there is a "M" molded in the bottles.
scott

This 'cider' is made locally to me. Had it once, spit it out and poured the rest down the drain. Only cider I've ever dumped.

Here's a clone recipie:

Import Chinese and South American apple concentrate while hardworking American apple farmers go out of business.
Add dextrose to ferment to 18% with champagne yeast
Dilute with water down to 4% (as I recall)
Add more concentrate, sucrose, malic acid and Stevia until that's all you can taste
Spend millions on low-calorie advertising and distribution

Want a low calorie cider? . . . Drink it dry

:mug:

Tried this as well. I was hopeful that this would help make cider more available, or at least noticed by the general public. I was not a huge fan. Too bad as well that first time drinkers think cider is suppossed to taste like this. The only part I sort of liked was that we all thought there was sour apple jolly rancher finish. I might try adding some to a small specialty batch, but not my regular brews.

I think they just tried to make this as sickly sweet as everything else on the american market.

They seem to have tried to target a special market. People who are not diehard drinkers, who prefer a very lightly flavored drink, very clean, and crisp, who are overly obsessed with calories. Unfortunately the missed the point of cider and left out the flavor and replaced it with chemicals. With ingredients like that, the are targeting people who do not belive brewing is an art. They treated it as a diet soda instead. They failed.

I recall reading an interview with the VP of marketing or the like. He quite frankly said it was made to appeal to middle-aged, calorie-watching women who are married to bud drinking men.

I'm sick of the Big Brand beers:( I only drink Sierra Nevada when I do drink beer or make my own. There are so many sheeple out there that have no idea what a proper cider would taste like anyway. Leave it to the masses and big companies to ruin a ciders reputation or beer for that matter and "tell" them what it would taste like.:(

Back