Kegging without buying a kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
going to have a hard time for 300...

regulator 50-75
manifold 30-50
kegs 100 bucks (plus shipping)
ball lock gas/liquid with hose and picnic tap 20 bucks a set (80 bucks)
co2 tank (100 bucks in my area filled, 20 per additional exchange)

that puts you around 400 bucks plus the freezer which you will need a temp controller for (50-100 bucks)

you are looking closer to 500 bucks for a 4 keg setup in my opinion.......

I just got the $50 Maytag Kitchen Fridge myself. I am trying to figure out what I need for 4 kegs also. I really don't mind going with a single keg system for starters but I want to spend wisely on my co2 regulator and manifold and have the ease of adding more kegs as needed. Its like anything, you don't want to spend foolishly and kick yourself later. Good luck and keep us posted!

chicompany has 4 packs of single handle ball lock kegs for only $74 so that will save you a little.

I agree its going to be hard to stay under $300 total. If you watch ebay for a Johnson analog A19 Temp controller and watch cl for stuff like c02 tanks and regs you might be able to do it.

Mine is a 4 keg setup and it cost me around $400 but I paid $100 for my freezer and went with a ranco controller cause I wanted something digital.

If you using a fridge you can probably get by without a external temp controller. scour CL/ebay for parts (shanks/faucets/regulator etc.) You don't need a fancy manifold (to start with) you can get by cheaply with hose barb "T"s for now. Try to find the CO2 bottle locally since they are heavy which would make shipping more expensive.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep searching around CL. Worse case, I suppose that I'll have to start a little smaller.

going to have a hard time for 300...

regulator 50-75
manifold 30-50
kegs 100 bucks (plus shipping)
ball lock gas/liquid with hose and picnic tap 20 bucks a set (80 bucks)
co2 tank (100 bucks in my area filled, 20 per additional exchange)

that puts you around 400 bucks plus the freezer which you will need a temp controller for (50-100 bucks)

you are looking closer to 500 bucks for a 4 keg setup in my opinion.......

Homebrew Deluxe - 2 Tap System :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

2 Cornies, 2 faucets, regulator, all the tubing you need, drip tray, 5g tank : $299. Check Midwest's page, they've got some pretty good prices

$50 - Freezer
$50-70 Temp controller
$200ish for a 2 keg setup from keg connection 2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, DUAL BODY REG, Standard Kit

That kegconnection kit just came out in July, and is by far the best deal you are going to find for a starter setup. If you can find the freezer for $50 (they are out there) this is the only wa to get everything for $300

Once you have this up and running, and can add more to the project, then you can add...
3port manifold with check valves $30
more kegs $25 each
2 gas and liquid QDs $12/pair
some hose to hook it up

When shopping for a chest freezer, make sure it will hold 4 kegs!!! I wouldn't bother with a chest freezer that would hold any less.

I built mine with all new for $450 ($200 for a 7.2cf Magic Chef) then added 2 more kegs and the manifold later.

Call local fire safety eqipment companies, mine is Koetter, they usually have the best co2 fill prices, and usually have converted co2 extinguishers for sale at good prices, my place sells them with new hydro date and full, 10, 15, and 20lb cheaper than anyone else.
For the shanks and faucets, look at the classifieds here, sometimes they come up.
I would buy a new regulator, though. You can get by with just a tee for a 2 keg setup.

Just wanted to add that I got my temp controller at the link below for $49.99 when they are normally $75-100. This and the Johnson A419 are almost identical products but I chose this because they sell cheaper and I found better reviews from people on HBT. Mine came a few weeks ago and it's great.

RANCO ETC-111000 Microprocessor Temperature Control: RANC1 Climate Doctors

Thanks for the temp controller recommendation mnm129. I'm more than a bit bummed though. The CL seller got an offer for $10 higher and sold it despite promising it to me. :mad: Looks like it's back to searching for another freezer.

Thanks for the temp controller recommendation mnm129. I'm more than a bit bummed though. The CL seller got an offer for $10 higher and sold it despite promising it to me. :mad: Looks like it's back to searching for another freezer.

Sorry to hear that. I guess that's the risk when buying on CL. Better luck next time.

Back