Best bottles to store a Barley Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am going to be brewing a barley wine the weekend of Thanksgiving. I have some time to collect some bottles for it so I was wondering what were the best bottles to use.

I have heard champagne bottles are a good way to go as well as the flip top bottles. Is there anything to this? Is there a preferred bottle?

Thanks!

Marko

I'd like to get a lot of 8 ounce bottles for barleywine. I really don't need 12 ounces of something that is 14% AVB :drunk: of course it is a pain to bottle that many more bottles. Flip tops are nice since you can close them easily again and enjoy over the course of a day or so since barleywine is not a bad one to drink a little flat anyway.

It doesn't really matter. Unless you plan on sharing quite a few or have no problem drinking 22oz of Barleywine, I'd recommend standard 12 oz bottles.

If you want smaller bottles, 250 ml bottles (halves) are fairly common. But not cheap. Sometimes you can get South American beers in that size for less than the cost of empties.

I don't understand why you folks think a bomber is too big, suites me fine.

:drunk:

I LOVE barleyewine!!! :ban:

I will be kegging mine, but I can certainly predict given past/current consumption I will likely be pulling nearly full snifters (24 oz. capacity) when it is ready.

yum.

Latest posts

Back