Using heat stick to clean/sanitize a brewhemoth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been kicking around ideas for cleaning my brewhemoth. Done two batches with it so far and rinsed, scrubbed, and allow it to soak the first time and second time I needed it faster so I squezed my left arm in there and got all of the krausen line scrubbed off.

While I was scrubbing I was looking at my heat element stick I haven't used for over a year and tested whether it would fit into my brewhemoth. It does and it only takes 2 gallons to cover the working end of the element, so I' try boiling a few gallons of water in there and hopefully the steam will losen all of the krausen nasties off and then I'll just hit it with soap and rinse.

Got an old fezziwig clone in there now and planning on throwing an impeial stout on the yeast cake, so it will be a while before I have to clean out my brewhemoth. Will post results. Anybody done this before?

Finally tested this out yesterday. I sprayed then scrubbed as much krausen line off as I could with my long brush then I put three gallons of pbw mix in and let the heat element go at it for about an hour while my german pils was mashing. All of the krausen either fell off or was easily scrubbed off. Quick rinse and sani and ready to go. Might just spray as much gunk out of it next time and use the element with just water and without scrubbing next time. Also thought about cleaning it completely, rinsing throughly and then boiling water in it to sanitize depending on how much time I have.

Back