Where to buy Carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoemaker27

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just starting out. I have one glass carboy my father got awhile back and was wondering where I could buy another one. I don't have a homebrew store near me and was wondering if there was another place I could buy one (that is not online). Thanks for the help.

you can try craigslist. I think what your asking is if there are other uses for a carboy that some other kind of specialty store might carry them? like a cooking store?

I'm not sure about that. Others may be able to help you further.

Why not just order through someplace online? Many good online brew shops have flat rate shipping of like $5.99 and they are very good about shipping glass.

Order one with your next batch of ingredients and you'll be set.

there are homebrew stores in clifton and freehold i believe. otherwise look at yardsales and on craigslist.
you don't really need carboys though, i rarely use mine. I ferment in buckets and do long primaries, so go straight to the bottle from primary.

From Lebanon, you can head out Route 22 or 78 to Bethlehem Pa. to Keystone Homebrew:

Keystone Homebrew Supply

They should be able to get you what you need.

Suggest that you leave enough time to have lunch or dinner at the Bethlehem Brew Works which is right next door.

Craigslist all the way. I've seen 4-5 on there in the Denver area just in the last month. There always seems to be folks getting out of the hobby and unloading gear. In addition to searching with "homebrewing" and all its variants, you may try searching for wine making equipment. I found a guy who had six (yeah, six) carboys to sell. I'm not a winemaker, but evidently they have to have several carboys to age their product for about a year. Good luck!

Your LHBS will be cheaper usually than ordering online...(shipping cost). I actually seen 5 gal. ones at some of the kitchen big box stores (Kitchen and Co. )...

Welcome, by the way to the most addictive hobby known to man.

Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew!

+1 for Craigslist and Goodwill.

+1 for morebeer.com and buckets. I have one carboy that I hardly use. Their buckets are inexpensive and good. They are a little more translucent than my others so you can see the trub and all as well. They also have free shipping for a certain amount and they worked out to be much cheaper this way than from my LBHS

I recommend buckets for fermentation. I find they are easier to use, carry and clean. And they are cheaper. They should last a good long time if you only use a washcloth to wipe them on the inside.

Most people around here don't use a secondary, and in the cases where you might, you already have a carboy for that.

If you are set on having a second carboy, then get one at a homebrew store. Any second-hand carboy is going to have a chance of having scratches, which can harbor an infection. The difference in price between new and used might be the cost of 1 spoiled batch of beer!

Back