Yeast Substitute in BM Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
I'm doing a BierMuncher Helles Belles this weekend. So far I've had to substitute hops and now the yeast. My LHBS only carries Wyeast Activator packs and not the White Labs WLP029 yeast called for. So I picked what seemed closest the Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast activator. Does this seem like it will be an OK substitute? Is a starter needed/required with the Wyeast Activator Packs. It was packaged on 3/08. Any thoughts as always are appreciated.

Ingredients:
------------

7.5 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

1.5 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (60 min) (had to substitute Crystal Hops)

1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale
Had to substitute Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Activator Yeast-Ale

It will work well. You might look to add a little wheat and make it closer to a Kolsch. Search for Kolsch recipes to see how close you are. This yeast can ferment pretty low. I had mine at 64 and others have had it at 60. I think it can go as low as 55.

Why not make it an authentic Helles with a German Lager yeast?
I'd love to but I don't have the ability to Lager yet. This is only my second AG as well. I figure after I get use to my equipment and the brew day then I'll start some research on lagering. I know that is a process on it's own as well as more equipment. (well a fridge to keep the primary in anyway)

I am on my second batch of BM Helles. First batch my friends loved, 5 gal batch gone in one Saturday!!!! I have been using Wyeast European Ale 1338. My brew friends give me a hard time for not lagering, but do not have the equip. yet. I always say, it is the taste and the AC!!!!!! I haven't had to pour a batch out yet!!!!!

You can ferment with an ale yeast at a colder temp. Kolsch/German Ale works well for this. I am sure there are others. I put mine into a conatiner of ice water and keep adding ie to it a couple of times a day.

That Kolsch yeast is a good one...though you need some patience. It will ferment very cleanly...but will take its sweet time.

It's a light grain bill but I would still give it a good 20 days in the primary and then cool it down to around 40 degrees (if possible) for 10 days.

That Kolsch yeast is a good one...though you need some patience. It will ferment very cleanly...but will take its sweet time.

It's a light grain bill but I would still give it a good 20 days in the primary and then cool it down to around 40 degrees (if possible) for 10 days.
Thanks, BM. I have no problems with letting it sit in primary for an extended period. I have let all my beers in primary at least that long and then I bottle. After bottling this is it OK to condition in the basement around 62-65 as well?

I'm doing a BierMuncher Helles Belles this weekend.
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale
Had to substitute Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Activator Yeast-Ale

Please let us know how it turns out. It sounds great. I have been thinking about doing a Helles recipe with Kolsch yeast as well, since I do all-ales (and plan to stay that way simply because I prefer ales).

- Eric
:tank:

Back