I Want To Start Kegging, Does This Make Sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbender

Reaction score
I don't currently have the room or desire to use 5 gallon kegs. I am reserving this for the future after I relocate and construct a new home. What I would like to do now is to learn how to keg with the intent to meet 2 beer despensing goals:

Goal1: I want to put together a portable dispensing system (as I have seen described elsewhere on this forum) utilizing a 60-70 qt picnic cooler on wheels.
Goal 2: I want to be able to dispense from a small keg out of my existing home refrigerator.

I am thinking that the best way to achieve this is to utilize the following equipment:

2 EA, 2.5 gallon kegs I like the 2.5 gallon vs 3 gallon due to modularity with my typical 5 gallon batch size.
1 EA, 2.5# or 5# CO2 bottle. This would be small enough to fit in either the refrigerator or the picnic cooler.

The idea is that a single 2.5G keg along with CO2 bottle and the associated apparatus would be used to dispense from the existing refrigerator. The other keg would be reserved for portable use and dispensed using CO2 gas cartridges. If space permits, it may also be possible to fit both kegs and the CO2 bottle in the picnic cooler if desired. I realize that this would be kind of expensive for the amount of beer it would handle, but it meets my current dispensing needs, would be a learning experience and would not preclude the addition of larger kegs in the future. (Might desire a larger CO2 bottle at that time though)

Does this approach make sense?

Sounds ok. Do some searching on portable kegging for other approaches. Something else, paintball tank conversions with standard regulators. Small enough to be portable, but inexpensive enough for home use.

Dual 3 Gallon System:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=81

I note the wye conncctor downstream of the pressure gage provides for separate valves. Would I be correct in assuming that I can force carbonate each of 2 kegs simultaneously but later remove and valve off one of the kegs and then despensing from the remaining one? Thanks for your help.

You would be correct. The valves to each CO2 line are not precisely necessary as the ball/pin connectors stop flowing when removed, but can leak when they get old.

Go with 5 gallon Corny's you will want to end up with a few of those anyway because you age beer in the keg and are drinking from 1 or another too. Think of it this way, bottles are a pain to clean and so are numerous smaller kegs so why not use bigger ones and avoid all that extra cleaning. When I brew I have to get all my equipment out and I figure it's just as much trouble to brew 5.5 gallons so why not use a 15 gallon boiler and a 10 gallon cooler as a mash tun and be able to brew 11 to 12 gallons and fill 2 Corny's. It lasts twice as long too.

Back