The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your thinking here. Maybe the Negan we are seeing isn't the actual leader. Maybe he's just a sergeant and there's some actual general that we haven't seen yet. Works with the whole "we are Negan" ideology.

I think he's got to be the real Negan though. If he knew it was only a matter of time before he got sniped, he wouldn't dare leave himself so wide-open and vulnerable. This has got to be the one real Negan. His ego is so enormous (it's YUGE), and based on previous experience, no one's bothered to kill him yet, so why should he worry. Why indeed.

This is of course totally unrealistic. No one this smart is simultaneously this stupid, and this is what really bothers me about this story. Narcissist or not, nobody is this dumb........ are they??? It's only a matter of time before he gets popped. But then I hear spoilers from others who've read the comics....... and it just makes me think the whole thing is even dumber yet. I hope we find out sooner than later as this is all going to become tedious if it continues on the current snail's pace.

When Rick snapped at Spencer, was it him taking his aggression out or did we see a little Negan in Rick?

I think he is out in the open because he has to make an impression on new groups. I think for the most part he has been hidden and not out in the open. Last season they ran into at least four negan groups and no Negan. There was the biker group, the sleeping group, the girl group, and the group with Dwight where we just saw feet. if negan was there wouldn't they have sneaked a peak at the bat? Jesus said that he was at hilltop and killed a 16 year old kid to start a relationship of the swing of the bat. Hilltop didn't know he wasn't at that compound, just that the group came from there. Negan is trying to break rick and make his impression on rick and his group. He probably also wants to evaluate ricks homestead firsthand and see how much of a threat he is.

It's going to be interesting going forward. I can definitely see Alexandria, the Hilltop and the Kingdom teaming up to form some kind of alliance against the Saviors. Only problem is that Alexandria is now completely out of guns (except for the one that Rosita scavenged) and the Hilltop only seems to have only very primitive weapons (spears and whatnot). The Kingdom seems to have some firepower but not many experienced fighters. If they're going to bring it to the Saviors, they're going to have to come up with some sort of serious plan of attack.

1. What about Alexandria, the Hilltop, AND the Kingdom? I suspect they may have more in numbers; however, and it's a big however, the saviors have all of Alexandria's guns. That's HUGE!

2. Your blanket statement "pretty much every Savior is a tried and tested killer" is unfounded. Yes, those we have met have been rather so, but what about those we have not met. Maybe there are more Saviors that are not tried and tested killers than there are, and the groups you have met are only those that go to pillage.

3. If Rick or someone killed Negan it would not have been the end of Alexandria. You should have noted that based on the quantity and quality of their arsenal. They could have killed this smaller group, what 50-60 or so, that came to Alexandria. That's a HUGE dent given who exactly made the trek!

Well, I think the show is moving exactly towards the Hilltop, Alexandria and the Kingdom beating the Saviors together. You're right that we don't know, for sure, that every Savior is a killer...but everyone we've met so far seem to have no compunctions about drawing a gun or killing anyone, and most of them seem to enjoy it. I mean, right now Alexandria has maybe 8 true killers left, Rick, Michonne, Carl, Rosita, Aaron and then it gets iffy...you've got maybe Gabriel, Spencer or Eugene. I don't think the rest of the residents of Alexandria are really going to be much use in a stand-up fight. The Saviors seemed to have brought about 30 people, almost as many as the number of people in town; quite frankly, I wouldn't take those odds.

Honestly, all our group needs to do is traumatize Morgan and revert him back to his "I clear" mode and then deck him out in body armor and arm him to the teeth like back when he controlled that town by himself and then set him loose on the Saviors. They wouldn't stand a chance...

No spoilers, but it will be really interesting to see how they develop the story for television. While they have use lines verbatim out of the comics, all of the character development and story development is not from the comics.

So, while I know what happens in the comics I suspect that won't translate to the show. Although, it will be interesting to see how they play this out given that Alexandria has no firepower.

704 was painful for me to watch. Between Rick being so broken and then to see the Saviors run off with all their guns, that was tough. It's hard for me to imagine how Alexandria will go to war after losing their arsenal.

think there may be some guns buried in Maggie's "grave", may be what Gabriel was signaling to Rick

and it seems Daryl was blinking Morse Code to Rick. there was a sign hanging in Rick's house with the Morse Code alphabet on it

twd-morse-code-211652.jpg

Wow. My interest is hereby renewed in full if any of this comes to light. Maybe spoilers aren't so bad after all!? Or maybe "spoilers" is not the correct term, but rather hints, Easter eggs, theories. I like it!

think there may be some guns buried in Maggie's "grave", may be what Gabriel was signaling to Rick

The more I think about it, I think this theory is not that likely.

The reason I think that there are no guns in the grave was because of the issue with the two missing guns. Had they planned this out and hid a fat stash of guns they would have had to make a new registery of guns, AND somehow forget the only two guns that were MIA (both conveniently in dude's house vent stash).

On top of that, I believe that Rick was very much unprepared for a surprise, early visit from Negan.

The more I think about it, I think this theory is not that likely.

The reason I think that there are no guns in the grave was because of the issue with the two missing guns. Had they planned this out and hid a fat stash of guns they would have had to make a new registery of guns, AND somehow forget the only two guns that were MIA (both conveniently in dude's house vent stash).

On top of that, I believe that Rick was very much unprepared for a surprise, early visit from Negan.

definitely holes in the theory, as you've stated. good call

also: Rick was freaking out at Gabriel about those 2 pistols while searching Spencer's house for them

so, yeah

but there's something buried there, other than Maggie's body (since she's at Hilltop seeing the doctor), Rick must know Negan will eventually find out she's still alive

well, it must be Chekov's gun.

tv production is expensive; you don't show something unless it means something

They did get a lot of guns from the Saviors they killed. They were keeping inventory of their own guns but I wonder about the guns that they captured, were those part of the inventory system they had going in Alexandria? I know Negan knew that they had a lot of the Saviors guns but would he know the difference between the guns the Alexandrians already had vs the guns they got from their Savior raids? Though it does sound like the Saviors like to carve symbols into their guns.

They did get a lot of guns from the Saviors they killed. They were keeping inventory of their own guns but I wonder about the guns that they captured, were those part of the inventory system they had going in Alexandria? I know Negan knew that they had a lot of the Saviors guns but would he know the difference between the guns the Alexandrians already had vs the guns they got from their Savior raids? Though it does sound like the Saviors like to carve symbols into their guns.

AH! Good point, that sniper rifle that they turned in late was NOT on the list.

It was in its holster on his hip when they got caught, then not

Brought up fairly early in the Fat Joey vid posted earlier

I can only hope!

I was thinking Carol would come in & save the day. But if Rick does it, that's even better.

I remember watching "Misery" the 1st time and screaming at the TV..........................

If this series takes this turn..................... it will rank right up there! I was ready to bag whole TV thing. You comic guys have a huge advantage on us.

I haven't seen any helicopters in a while, and I still say there is an unaccounted for helicopter that the group saw a long while back while they were walking in a field.

Long time fan since inception, but I must comment on the horrible acting this season. Aside from Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Negan), everyone else is awful. He steals the show, despite the lagging plot.

This was a story building episode to get us to the next action.

I think Negan's guy who went to Hilltop may be trying to be a little too Negan. People kneel to the Negan, not the we are all Negan.

Another episode catching us up on the various members of the group, this time focusing on Hilltop. Sweet Jesus kung-fu action!

Gregory is Gonna Die
No two ways about it, Gregory may have saved his own skin this time by offering up some rare scotch, but someone is gonna kill this bastard, or let him die in a zombie attack or something. The Saviors know that Hilltop had something to do with Alexandria attacking them, and I think they're well aware that it wasn't Gregory and his group that saved Hilltop from the zombie attack they orchestrated. My guess is the Saviors will eventually off Gregory, and then Maggie will be in charge. If not? I'm guessing that Sasha will off him.

Maggie and Sasha Prove Their Worth
While Gregory cowered in his room, Sasha, Jesus and Maggie put an end to the zombie horde while also orchestrating the defenders of Hilltop to close the gates and stop more from coming through. It's an act that Gregory could never do and it showed the people of Hilltop what a little bravery can do to save lives...perhaps they'll take heart if/when Maggie takes over.

Carl Kisses Enid, Finds Jesus
The other third or so of the episode was Carl and Enid traveling to the Hilltop together, ostensibly to see Maggie; but Carl actually intended to go find Negan and kill him, it's the culmination of a weird sort of dynamic they have in which they're both heading in opposite directions. Personally, I think it's a really dumb idea on Carl's part, fortunately for Carl though, Jesus the kung-fu ninja is with him, so maybe this will work out for the better.

Hilltop is just plain worthless aside from Jesus. When they sent in that car and all the zombies, where was everyone? Just hiding in their trailers?

Aside from the doctor, I don't see that they provide anything to our group.

Well, the main addition they provide is food, apparently, and farming expertise; an army marches on its stomach and all. That was the reason Maggie originally made the deal, they needed food. Combat wise, the folks of Hilltop don't really seem to have the stomach for it...yet.

I figure about two years has passed in TWD time. Judith is the calendar. Figure she wasn't conceived on day one of the outbreak. Add at least a month. Add nine months for Lori's pregnancy. Judith, who we don't see much, looks about one year old.

A lot has happened in about two years. The outbreak and so far as we can tell the total collapse of the system. That all went to crap fast. The CDC adventure. Hershel's farm. The Prison/Governor. The hospital/Darryl and those guys/Beth. Terminus. Alexandria/Wolves. Saviors. All the other incidentals.

Given all that, and with the understanding that Rick's group of nomads has been cutting a bloody swath through humanity and zombianity alike, three things.

Thing one. How are there fat people left? No one is sitting on the sofa eating sugar coated roasted chocolate peanuts and drinking homebrew while posting on the internet.

Thing two. Okay. Folks in walled communities may not be as bad ass as Rick's marauders, but I'd expect everyone still alive to be fairly bad ass. I think the folks at Hilltop and Alexandria are portrayed as being too soft for the TWD universe.

Thing three, and it's been hinted at by a Savior last season. Are Rick's marauders really the good guys, even by TWD standards? Even Terminus had a reason for being as screwed up as they were. But Rick and crew, they're tearing across the south jacking up everyone they meet. If they don't like your way of life, they jack you up. If they want what you've got, they jack you up. They're marauders, are they not?

@Zuljin,

Funny... while Judith is still only like 1 year old, Coral has aged at least 5 or 6 years!

Personally I'd figure about 3 years have passed at least. For whatever reason the management has not shown Judith to age nearly as much as they should have -- an oversight I think, or maybe on purpose if they just don't want her to develop into an important character at all, keep her out of sight as some reason in the background of why Rick does what he does. A little loss of reality there. So, Judith isn't the clock.

That being said.

Thing one. You're right. There should be zero fat people.

Thing two. You're right. No one should be soft anymore. No one.

Thing three. I don't agree. Rick's party is not made up of marauders. They're survivors. They always try to do the right thing, for both sides if possible. In situations where it's "kill or be killed", they do what they have to do. But they don't typically go out of their way to steal and murder. At least not yet... though now as subjects of Neganism, it could come to that, as I guess it has once already (killing Negan's people in their sleep).

I wonder where the hell the Wolves are, and what they'll do when they show up again. Thanks for the reminder.

I would argue that they are savage but not marauders. You have to be savage to live in a world like that. I agree that they seem to impose their will wherever they go but the people that they impose their will on kind of need it. Alexandria in particular seemed really lucky that neither the Wolves nor the Saviors had stumbled upon them. If it were Alexandrians prior to our groups arrival versus a group like the Wolves or the Saviors, they would've been extinguished. Granted, most of them are dead now but at least some are still alive and I think it is mostly thanks to our group protecting them.

A few non-spoilers for those of you who have not read the comic series.

1. Judith died a while ago in the comics, so anything here on out is developed by the show. Maybe they just don't give a **** about her anymore...something should've ate her episodes ago; that would've been worth watching.

2. In the comics, Carl goes to the Saviors hideout on his own.

3. In the comics, Jesus goes to the Saviors hideout on his own (kind of / sort of).

4. The Wolves don't exist in the comics.

5. There are overweight people in the comics, too (in particular the lady that manages the armory/food).

Back