Choice of two, you guys decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Local supply house just got two more "local" juices in.

The first is Catawba blush and the other is Sour Cherry blush.

Price for the Catawba is $6.65 a gallon and the Sour Cherry is $8.10 a gallon.

I'm looking at doing a small batch, just because I already have 6 gallons of Niagara White aging and have a 6 gallon batch of Island Mist finishing up. (plus doing about 10-11 gallons of fresh apple when it comes in next week)

Thinking this will be about 3-5 gallons at most.

Which would you guys choose and why?

I'd do 1 gallon of each, if they'll sell it in 1 gallon increments. Best of both worlds, everybody wins. :D Regards, GF.

If not, I would go with the Catawba. Why because I have had some decent Catawba wines and never tried sour cherry.

I make catawba wine, and while I'm happy, it's definitely not the best and/or easiest wine to make taste good. It's acidic, and not very good on it's own. I used 65# of catawba grapes last year, and made 14 gallons of wine. One three gallon batch was only catabwa and it's tart and acidic. The others I played with- reducing acid, adding grape concentrate, etc, and it's ok. It's not a great wine, but it's ok. I also put it through MLF, and then cold stabilized it to precipitate more acid. It might age into a decent wine- it's just a tad over a year old now.

So, if it were me, I'd go with the sour cherry if you're only making one. Sour cherry juice makes a nice wine- but it does take a while. My sour cherry from last year is still harsh and astringent, and I added some honey (after talking with Ken Schram) to help smooth it out.

Jack Keller's website has recipes for both, and I would recommend reading the recipes and the techniques before deciding.

Catawba can make a good wine, but it takes more effort. Sour cherries pretty much do the job on their own, but need some time. Either way, plan on at least a year before considering bottling. Maybe more.

Back