Buying supplies in Yellowknife?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoutal

Reaction score
I have just started brewing (bottled my first batch today) and so far so good. The only problem is that I have recently moved to Yellowknife, NWT, and supplies are hard to come by. One grocery store sells Coopers (Extract) and Barons (Wort in a Bag) and a few random supplies (corn sugar, etc). They mostly seem to cater to wine making and have a lot more choice for that.

Anyways, I chose Coopers (1 can Bitter and 1 can Dark ale) and I think that will be fine for my first attempt. But I feel I'll want more. I'll stick to extract brewing for now, but I don't want to have no choice other than Coopers.

Does anyone know of any online store in Canada that will ship up here for a reasonable price? The phone book lists Capancork.com (located in edmonton), but their website is lacking information.

Any help would be great.

Wow, I was just in Yellowknife last month. Unfortunately I know for a fact that ?all? the brewpubs have closed by know, though there is the Black Knight which does serve a good Guiness.
As for supplies, I'm not sure what is in town (I didn't see anything or find anything major in the yellowpages while I was there); it seems like a BMC town. You might want to see if Dan's Homebrewing Supplies in Vancouver or Askims here in Victoria can mail you supplies.

PS. I was flying around southern NWT last month ( Ft Smith, Ft Res, Ft Simpson,etc) and the weather was awesome. Is it still nice and toasty right now?

Thanks for the replies. I'll give those stores a try.

The weather here has been off and on. Some days it's nice and sunny and very pleasant. Others it's cloudy/rainy. Of course, murphy's law says that the nice days are the days that I work.

emoutal -- try Askims -- they are a good online retailer. There are also some good ones down east, if you don't mind paying a bit more shipping. Just ask and I can provide some URLs.

Austin Homebrew Supplies (www.austinhomebrew.com) and MoreBeer.com sell to Canadians. The trick is to have them ship US Postal Service instead of UPS or FedEx, if you want to keep the shipping and duty costs down. Both are excellent retailers.

Best of luck!

If you don't mind, i'd love some links.

Although i may have found a good thing with capancork.com (they're in edmonton but they advertise in the yellowknife yellowpages). They have muntons spraymalt. Is that good for recipes, or mainly as an addition to a kit?

Order on-line and when you get to a town with a good brewpub or homebrew shop, buy 2 row in bulk if you all grain. If you do not, it may be worth switching to it since you could buy grains in bulk and store them throughout a 6 month period or so to brew with. You could also get a good house yeast in liquid form and then wash the yeast each time and store. If you use dry, then just buy a bunch of packs. The only thing you would need to purchase is specialty grains online. If you have certain brews you like, then you could pick up the necessary grains to make several batches. I have kept some darker grains for over a year. They still do well in my beers.

Hi there fellow Canadian. I make alot of the cooper kits - personally I usually add about 3 pounds of unhopped liquid malt extract and one pound of sugar. If you dont have any unhopped liquid malt extract some people I know just mix up 2 cans of coopers and throw in a pound of corn sugar. Usually makes some pretty good beer - good luck!

Just an update. I ended up buying two kits from noble grape (cream ale and royal red bitter). Shipping wasn't as bad as I thought, $23 for both kits. Thanks flyguy.

Has anybody tried these kits? Any thoughts on them? I'm pretty excited to give them a try.

I'm also heading back to vancouver at the end of august for a wedding, so i'll probably stop by some shops and pick up some supplies. I contacted Dan's homebrewing and he has stopped doing mail order but might restart it later, but i figure I can pick some stuff up in person.

Back