Attaching mesh bags to auto siphon to filter out trub - will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmacro

Reaction score
About to make my second batch, and thinking when I rack to primary, I could use rubber bands to attach a coarse mesh bag to the siphoning end, and a fine mesh bag to the output end - will this work to filter out the trub? I figure it'll also oxygenate the wort as well, which means no shaking

It would probably work, but probably not necessary. Agree that you should avoid as much trub as you can, but it will all fall out in primary anyway.
Also, some people say the break material in there is actually beneficial to the yeast...so it may be better to NOT go through the effort.

I rack through a nylon hop bag every time i transfer. Just sanitize it and tie it to the end of the racking cane or auto siphon. I just do it on the input end. I don't think it really helps to oxygenate though. I'd still shake the crap out of it.

Works fine.. I cut my bags up and get 8-10 rankings from 1.. I wrap my piece around just the opening slit on the pickup and use a twist tie just above to hold in place.. just don't get aggressive with the end in the trub. I start half way and babysit pushing it down a little at a time :mug:

It would probably work, but probably not necessary. Agree that you should avoid as much trub as you can, but it will all fall out in primary anyway.
Also, some people say the break material in there is actually beneficial to the yeast...so it may be better to NOT go through the effort.

I read up on that a bit; seems hot break trub is worthless, but cold break trub is valuable, acting as some sort of nucleus for CO2 and the lack of cold trub causes onion off-flavors, among other things

I'd think that since I'm filtering through the mesh bag after the wort's cooled to room temperature, the cold trub should still be in solution, and so it should pass right on through and into my fermentor, right?

If you use whole cone hops and bottle your beer, some way to filter out the hop seeds (at least I think that's what they are) is almost a necessity. I use a muslin canning bag thing (not sure the actual name) when transferring out of primary, but removing them anywhere in the process would work. Otherwise, when bottling, they have a tendency to get stuck in the bottle filler plunger and spray beer all over the floor.

Back