Spilled some yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
Whipped up a batch last night... Going for a dry hopped Red Ale (or Red IPA I guess). Dry hopping with Falconers Flight. When I went to pitch the California V White Labs Yeast and removed the cap some spilled out since it was under pressure. Maybe a 1/4 of the vile. Maybe a little less. Had a little puddle on the counter. Just wondering if I should just relax and let her rip or should I pitch some more. Fermentation started up the next morning and seems to be bubbling away normally. Just afraid of getting stuck or having under pitching issues. Any tips would be great. Thanks.

What was the OG of your beer? This will determine how much yeast was needed.

You should have created a yeast starter and you may have under-pitched... but you'll most likely be OK.

In the future use a calculator such as Mr. Malty to determine the proper pitching rate and make sure to pitch this amount.

OG was around 1.060. I didn't realize I needed to make a starter with the white labs since it says it actually is one on the vile but in further reading on their site they recommend for OG's over 60. I will definitely do that in the future. Beer has a nice aggressive freaky looking Krausen now and blow off is super active. Hope it keeps going strong. Thanks for the tips.

I was wondering if it is OK to slowly rotate the carboy back and forth... To get things out in the open and loosen the clumps?

Back