how to wort for yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFrank

Reaction score
I brewed up 6gal of Orfys Hob Goblin today
and ran off a extra gallon of wort to use for a yeast
Starter for a Belgian Wit ill due soon. The wort I
Collected was pre boil. My question is can I use
Unboiled wort in my starter. If not how long will
I need to boil before using

Thanks
George

You only need to boil it to make it stable wort. Boil thru the break and it will be fine.

I'd boil it once when it is produced, and then boil and cool before making the starter to kill off any bugs growing in there (unless you're using it within a day or two). I actually produce 5 gallon batches or wort, pressure can them in mason jars (boil at 15psi for 20min. to sterilize) and then they're shelf stable and don't require boiling.

I am intrigued by the idea. I was asking because I was concerned that the jar might explode when it was boiled with the lid closed.

This method would save me some time.

I am intrigued by the idea. I was asking because I was concerned that the jar might explode when it was boiled with the lid closed.

This method would save me some time.

I boil lid on and the ring loose. That way the liquid can boil while releasing pressure. I also leave about a 1" air space. After boiling, I leave the cooker closed to cool, as the liquid cools it creates a vaccum which pulls the lid tight and makes an airtight seal. I then wipe them down, secure the ring, and am good to go.

Looks like i might be brewing wort this weekend and canning it. I have no more room in fermenters yet.. only have 3 5gal ones so far and they are all still in primary.. and i started in brewing in October but these have only been for less than a week.. :)

I'd boil it once when it is produced, and then boil and cool before making the starter to kill off any bugs growing in there (unless you're using it within a day or two). I actually produce 5 gallon batches or wort, pressure can them in mason jars (boil at 15psi for 20min. to sterilize) and then they're shelf stable and don't require boiling.

So you don't refridgerate or anything? Just can and put on the shelf. And then when you make a starter you just grab however many you need, pour into a starter vessel and add yeast? Not boiling at all the second time?

Back