WTB Meadowfoam Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCmb

Reaction score
I was at the Maryland Renaissance Festival last weekend (where I had a great time), and I stopped into the BeeFolks shop. They have meadowfoam honey, but it's $80 a gallon. I would really love to make a meadowfoam mead, but that's pretty steep.

I found something on a different forum about Joann's Honey in Oregon, but when I called the number on that post, the recording said she's out of honey for the year (already!).

Does anyone have any idea where I might get meadowfoam honey for a better price? Thanks!

-Joe

Wow. That would be one expensive batch. I use the honey that Sam's Club has, $10 for 5#. I feel so cheap. A quick google search turned up this site; it has meadowfoam honey for $5.50/# plus $4.85 shipping, with more pounds being cheaper. Is this honey that good?

I've never had meadowfoam honey, but I've seen the descriptions of the aroma/flavor (actually first became aware of it at the BeeFolks website), and it does sound incredibly intriguing. Had anyone here actually made a mead from this varietal? JoeCmb, did you taste it at the MD Ren Fest?

It is a very nice honey. Very light in color, and with a distinct aroma/flavor. It is described as marshmallow-like. I find it has a vanilla scent somewhat like you get from oak even when it has not been oaked. I find that I haven't really liked it as a dry traditional; semi-sweet to sweet works better for the flavor for my taste buds (YMMV) and it can be delicious. It can also make an exceptional melomel.

But it is darned expensive!

Medsen

I was just talking to some people the other day that sell honey. They had some meadowfoam honey but they said it tasted a bit like medicine in its pure form. This year they have a mix of meadowfoam, clover and blackberry. Dont know how much of this is talk and how much is the truth but the honey I tasted was good.

Latest posts

Back